General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 CTS 3.2L won't start...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Default 2003 CTS 3.2L won't start...help!

About a month ago my son was driving his car and it lost all power and shut down and it would not restart at all....just cranks over. We listened for the fuel pump and determined at that time that we could hear no noise from the pump so we replaced it. While we replaced the pump we verified we heard it "pump up". We attached the old pump and were a little disappointed that the old pump powered up also...I guess we were tricked by another part failure and wasted the process of installing a fuel pump. We verified that fuel was getting past the fuel filter, cracked the line plenty loose on the opposite side of tank on the filter and gas poured out heavily. We were told by a mechanic to try a blast of starting fluid through the air valve on the front of the intake and see if that made it come to live. After several blasts there was only one or two small misfires. I also tried starting fluid through the vacuum hose that assists the master cylinder at the connection in the manifold, directly in and it didn't fire either. There is a green cap on the left side of the engine, thinking that should be a test port I tried to see if gas would come out when the key was on, or if while cranking it over if there was pressure. There was no pressure. Taking the plenum of we tested for fuel at what appears to be a test port in the center area and gas only came out, in a heavy dose while the car was trying to be started. Thinking the car had a bad pressure regulated and would not get fuel to the injectors, I gave a heavy dose of starting fluid down the intake runners and there was no sign of detonation at all.

I am lost for what the problem may be. This is our only form of transportation right now and I need help. Someone please give me an idea on what I should change. I think it isn't getting spark but can't figure out how to verify that except for tearing the whole top end apart. I am a disabled veteran and live on a small pension and can't afford a mechanic. Someone told me maybe a sensor, crank position sensor??? My son did have a random light come on once in a while for the airbag. It would go off and stay off for a long while but the car did run at all times. He said he was just driving, slowed down for a stop sign and it lost all power and wouldn't restart.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 CTS 3.2L won't start...help!-img_20150303_093152185.jpg