General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Deville won't start, any help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Default 96 Deville won't start, any help??

I have a 96 Deville that won't start!! Last spring, it died on me in traffic and I had a relay switch?? replaced. I've had no problems until a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't start. I thought I might have accidently pressed the gas while trying to start it as I had boots on. The next day, I tried to start it, and it did start, but as it started I heard what sounded like a backfiring noise come from the engine. I popped the hood and didn't see any smoke...LOL I shut it off, and it restarted fine. I started it twice since then, with no problems. Then last night, it wouldn't start. I tried getting a jump, as all interior lights were dead. The lights finally came all on, but the car still won't start. The man helping me said I probably needed a new battery, so I went and got one today. I put it in, and the interior dash lights and door lights came on, but still, it won't start. I think I heard a faint click while trying to start it. I've been trying to read through posts on here to look for clues. Someone said to check for a security reset button under the dash on the driver's side, and also to check the battery cables. Can anyone else think of simple things I can do before I have to take it to the shop. I am a woman in a small town without a lot of cash to pay a mechanic. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks! Kathy

Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 96 Deville won't start, any help??

If car has added alarm it could be the cause,when battery is removed module loses memory.It could be removed or bypassed. There is not a factory security reset switch. Positive battery cable could be corroded within casing if battery failed because it was leaking.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

we love to help, but there is not enough info to go on beyond what slowroll has stated.

go to the thread below and think about all the things that can help us help you and get back to us.
we will do what we can with what info you can get us.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_9792/tm.htm

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will try to check out the cables. That at least won't be too expensive to replace. I am wondering if that relay switch which I had replaced earlier may be the problem again, since I did hear some small "explosion" type sound before it quit on me this time. Thanks again. I won't be able to look at my car until sometime tomorrow. Kathy

Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

Prior to the car not starting was the service engine soon light coming on?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM

yes, the service engine light soon message was coming on.... does this point to something in particular?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

If light was on, then code(s) was stored - could help with the little explosion you heard. You should focus on getting it to turn over and see if it will start first.Then we can try to help you with the ses light. This is important with vin in hand call local Cadillac or GM dealer see if car has open fuel rail replacement recall. If it does, check for fuel leaks under silver cover that says northstar before driving. If there is a fuel leak call dealer, and they should what to do.