Cadillac XLR The cutting edge luxury sports car offering the feel of a coupe or a roadster at the touch of a button

Looking for advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Default Looking for advice...

I currently drive a 2007 C6 Corvette coupe and a Lexus SC430 and am looking to add a 2008/9 XLR-V to my stable. I just started to look into it and was hoping to get some advice from the experts here. What has the market been like lately? Can I expect to find a XLR-V for under MSRP? Is the difference between the 08/09 worth it or should I look to find a low milage 08? Is the supercharger really worth it if it does not kick in until 6500RPM (which is what I believe I read)? It's not like I'm going to track the vehicle, but I usually opt for all the bells and whistles available when I decide to buy a particular model. Anyway, just looking to get educated as much as possible. I've been reading the threads on here and will continue to do so. I look forward to joining the Caddyfamily and hearing everyone's advice and opinions. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking for advice...

Not sure there will be much advice coming, not too many are experinced with these cars, price tag and exclusivity being the reason, not because we don't want one.

One of the charter members of my Rotary club, a lawyer, has one and it is just a drop dead gorgeous car. He's 86 so he just has it because he can, drives it in the summer then switches to his CTS for winter. I've spoken to him about it and of course he loves it. Both are red!
I always try and get the most powerful engine I can when I buy a car. That doesn't mean I am pounding the car all the time either. It is imo best to have the power if needed. The true test of a man is to have the power yet know when to use it.

The way I look at it is this, if an 86 year old loves an XLR-V then you will be orgasmic over it!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Right now in S. Fla you can buy a new 78k z-06 for 60k. I can only imagine the xlr-v's would be selling for under sticker also. The have a little less hp then the sts-v and cts-v because of a smaller engine compartment and less AIR but they still git and sh-t and it's the only xlr I would consider. Now should be the time to buy, depending on your geographical location.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

XLR-V is a very cool car the down side is depreciation. Sticker on an 09 105k 08 100k. 06 can be bought 50-60k, to me a certified pre-owned is the way to go biggest part of the depreciation is gone and there is more warranty. It's unfortunate that American cars lose there value so fast and there is no guaranty they will appreciate, ever.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

One of the charter members of my Rotary club, a lawyer, has one and it is just a drop dead gorgeous car. He's 86 so he just has it because he can, drives it in the summer then switches to his CTS for winter.
Today was our Rotary meeting and I spoke to Jack, one small correction, he is 91 not 86 and still goes to work. He owns several insurance brokerages and adjusting firms.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I totally agree about the depreciation of new cars. All products depreciate the second they leave the store, but nothing else that I can think of depreciates more than automobiles. I understand buying new is probably the worst financial purchase one can make. However, as dumb as it may sound I just don't like buying used. Especially when it comes to high performance cars. I currently own a 07 Corvette coupe and a 08 Lexus SC430 and they are now worth about half of what I paid for them. I considered leasing the XLR-V, but have been told by a dealer that they don't have leases for the V series. I have not verified if that is actually true or not, but if it is, I will buy new again and take a huge hit in depreciation. That being said, if I could find a very low mileage 08 or 09 XLR-V I would consider it, so if anyone knows of a red one with chrome wheels please let me know. As it stands now I found a red XLR-V with chorme wheels and cashmere interior. The sticker price is $103,730 and they offered to sell it to me for $93,040 based on their "red tag" event. I offered them $90,050 and they replied that they cannot go below the "red tag" sale price, but offered me $1,000 in GM coupons. I assume the couponsare like store credit to purchase accessories. I'm seriously considering it and may get the car next week.