Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Buying a 95 Northstar, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Default Buying a 95 Northstar, looking for advice

Just a brief introduction, I have been lurking here for a while, this is my first post. Really have appreciated the technical information. We have a 90 DeVille and have had it since about 1992. I have been building and working on my cars since the early 60's and this Cadillac has been a bit of a challenge at times.

My bride has found a 95 Concours with less than 40,000 on the clock and looks like we will be making an offer. I know nothing about the Northstar and will be interested in learning what I should look for in evaluating this car. Any information about potential problems unique to that power train will be appreciated. Just looking at the motor I am thinking my mechanic will be getting a little more of my business when repairs are needed.

Mark

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

Welcome, Need maintence records and a good lookover. Northstar is expensive to repair. coolant should have been changed a few times, all the normals, engine oil leaks particulaly lower crankcase 4-5K repair. You will want to drive car intown and highway 65mph+ for 30-45 min to be sure it it doesn't need head gaskets or trans repairs. They aren't bad cars but you need to know what you getting. Make sure car has antifreeze in it, isn't water. Some over the head gasket in a can is not designed to work with antifreeze. Antifreeze dissolves sealer and it will have water in it. See FAQ section lot of info there

Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I have been reading the extensive information here and learning. No oil leaks, just 20 years of dust on the engine. It sounds and runs good but maybe a noisy bearing on the belt tensioner. That is somewhat minor and nothing else about it scares me. I have been driving it a week and no problems so far. We will probably take the plunge. I will be back here I am sure. Thanks again for the help.

Mark