Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Advice on Buying an STS - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Default Advice on Buying an STS - Please Help

I currently drive a 400+ hp Trans Am and am getting tired of it as a daily driver. I have been looking at getting a 98+ STS and came across one that is the exact combo I want...charcoal/dark grey exterior, light colored interior with wooden inserts on the steering wheel... It is a 1998 STS with aobut 86,000 miles and seems to be in excellent condition inside and out. I have get them down to $6000 and I think I can get them down to $5800. The catch is I need to fly down to Florida to get it ($220) and drive back (approx. $225 in gas). Do you guys think that this is a good buy?

I have been active on Trans Am / Camaro forums for years and think they are wonderful so I figured this would be the best place to come to ask this. Thanks for all your input and I'm looking forward to joining your community!
")'>

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Default RE: Advice on Buying an STS - Please Help

Three years ago I flew down to Gainesville, Fl and purchased a higher mileagecar. On the way back it blew an alternator that cost me $300.00 on a Sunday. With the air fare,gasoline,towing, repair bill,and hotel; it would have beenless if I had it shipped.Since I've had it I think I've only put 3000 miles on it due to repair problems. Hope you have better luck.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

The real question is will you be happy with a Cadillac. It is quite a change from driving a Pontiac Trans Am with what is obviously a highly modified engine and I suspect suspension and rock hard low profile tires as well.

Have you driven an STS ? Are you sure you will be happy with a mere 300 Horsepower car that is whisper quiet, sophisticated and such a pleasure to drive that you take your time going places.Just some things to consider before taking the flight.

In my opinion the 10 year old car is a little over priced especially in light of the gasoline situation.I would be heading for $5,000 given the flight and cost of fuel to get home.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 AM

I am ready for the change (to the STS from the Trans Am) and I have drove some and was pleased. At first the reviews all seemed good for the STS but the more I read, the more I am worried about front end vibrations at highway speeds, excessive oil consumption, head gasket failures, broken motor mounts, sensors all over the place freaking out...

How much of a concern are these?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 PM

The reliability issues I listed in the above posts have had me looking at other cars, but something keeps bringing me back to the STS. Anybody have any input to how much of a concern the reliability is because some reviews are wonderful, but others seem plauged with issues.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: 1quickSTS

The reliability issues I listed in the above posts have had me looking at other cars, but something keeps bringing me back to the STS. Anybody have any input to how much of a concern the reliability is because some reviews are wonderful, but others seem plauged with issues.
put on your filtered glasses.

most people that come to a site have problems, the other 98% of the populus, never blink an eye.

what I am saying, dont take the high concentration of folks coming for help as an indication of reliability in any car, foreign or domestic.

if you go for an STS, do it right, get the car checked, get a compression test, test the transmission and enjoy the car.

A 10 year old car is bound to have some needs - i tell people to plan on $1,000 on misc not including tires.
If you expect new, buy new .. just remember that at 10 years old, you are getting a car at about 80% OFF the sticker price with about 30% usage of its life, and most likely all the bugs fixed. Assuming it is not trashed.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did consider that on a Cadillac forum, a lot of posts would be to correct issues and that the vast majority of the people without problems probably aren't posting online. From what I have read, it would probably be best to get a 2000+ STS due to some changes that helped correct the head gasket issues and the oil consumption issues. Do you have any other advice that would help narrow down or correct my search?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: 1quickSTS

Thanks for the reply. I did consider that on a Cadillac forum, a lot of posts would be to correct issues and that the vast majority of the people without problems probably aren't posting online. From what I have read, it would probably be best to get a 2000+ STS due to some changes that helped correct the head gasket issues and the oil consumption issues. Do you have any other advice that would help narrow down or correct my search?
I love the BLACK STS the most. I dont believe it gets any better than an STS unless you move up to the STS-V.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

i have drivin an sts '99 for two years.... we've had some issues, yes. however i would not drive anything but. it is a super car!!
yes, motor mount, starter, new coolant every two years, electric problem that took me 6 mo to find the RIM was bad. but i still get a chub every time i wot it. shes a great vehicle
rickyd