Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Rick's Cadillac STS was found in the closet

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Rick's Cadillac STS was found in the closet

hey guys.... well im off for the next 5 weeks, so i can start participating once more....... that work thing, per day is long, i'm sure you all are in the same boat at times....
so, ...... i've got a problem.... had the sts in prep bay for detail (1day), next day moved to another bay. (slow start, like battery low, or starter drag, but started..... now remember the E-Ghost problem, disconnect - batt 4,5 times a day to reset, and restart more than normal... the end of 2nd day inside, started it to park it on lot, and again a noticable slow start............ park the car, 5 to 6 hrs, and in leaving for the night, the car won't turn over. it seemed i had all sorts of lights inside,etc... so, to the battery and disconnect the (-). in trying to put it back on she sparked a little, but reconnected... it started, but slow....... ran it for 3 days, fine, no prob. Saturday set out for trip home, usually 5 1/2, to 6 hrs.was inbig snow, ice, sleet, and rain..... got to Cleveland 8 hrs later,and pulled off to knock ice off wipers. shut car off to do that, and when i went to restart.... it did'nt..... so it is sitting in Cleveland.......
Questions: Battery? - Starter? - or is there a Starter interrupt, (security type) on this car.....
It seemed to have all sorts of battery inside, ie-lights, etc....., though sometimes when i tryed to start, i had one click in eng comp that i think was Starter
oh, in running codes..... there was a ton of them.... too many, more than in the E-Ghost thread.... as i went to get my recorder to record them, as i startedi noticed the batt was getting real low, so i didn't
any ideas????? if ya'll think its battery, i'll run the 75mi and put batt in, if ya'll think starter, or security, problem i'll get her towed the 75 mi home tomy tech...... any ideas? thanks in advance guys
rick

Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Welcome to the new TECH ROOM

Test battery 1st with digital tester. What was battery voltage on DIC while driving and with key on engine off?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

slo.... while driving, 13.4, to 14.2............. key on engine off, ???????

Old 12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

If you turn key to "ON" you can listen to radio and operate windows, turn it a little more starter is suppose to engage. DIC can display battery volts. make sure everything that is turned off...ie radio, hvac, lights... etc.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

sorry slo... i knew what you meant, i didn't notice what the reading was......... and the car is 70 mi up towards Cleveland from where i am now. ..... does that car have a starter interrupt? ..... the starter was replaced aprox 2 yrs ago, so i don't think it is a starter problem, though not sure...... i'm thinking other than that, its the battery, though not sure......... it seemed to have had a good battery, ie- (interior lights, and alike) though that didn't last long, and i could sense the battery was loosing power quickly.
when the tow guy was there, we tryed to jump it, and had no luck. he also heard the starter click once, every 3 or 4 times i turned the key to start it.
i have called some tow guys and they want 300, to 400 to get the car back to my Tech...... so???? other than that do you think a place like a Sears auto center up there would be capableto fix for the sts? other than that, i might run a new battery up and try that....... could the security system be acting up, preventing the car to start??????
rick

Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

As far as towing your could rent U haul car trailer and rental car co. of your choice pickup truck for less. Car does have theft deterent system, but it won't make it turn over slow. In the short time you hit no start, say 10-15 minutes, Battery with dead cell is good possiblity. The other during your "e-ghost adventure" your did not get a ground wire tight somewhere on car. I would rather think battery failed. Charging system is working 13.4-14.2v, a parasitic draw could pull battery down over time, but not normally in a short period of time.(less than 2 hrs).Cadillacs with batteries that have a dead cell wont alway jump start. If it's just a basic start/charge condition SEARS should be able to handle it. Beyond that you will need someone who knows how to work on Cadillacs

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

SLO... HAD A DEALER BUDDY WITH FLAT BED THAT WENT TUESDAY TO PICK UP CAR. THEY PUT A JUMP DIRECT TO BATTERY UNDER REAR SEAT, AND THE DANG THING STARTED.... WHAT THE HAY WITH THAT?.... DROVE IT BACK TO SHOP, CHECKED ELECTRICAL, AND ALL IS WELL.....YOU THINKING STARTER HUH?..... ????? I'M STILL THINKIN BATTERY DEAD CELL, THOUGH THE SHOP SAYS NO..... I GUESS WELL SEE. ........... WHAT SAY YOU?
THANKS SLO
rick

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Rick,

no offense, but why are we doing a technical problem/resolution here in the back room?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

lol yea good question....lol....sorry lost my head......lol....... could you move it some place? again sorry
rick

Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyd
lol yea good question....lol....sorry lost my head......lol....... could you move it some place? again sorry
rick

well .. finally got around to it .. two years later ?
Hope you have found your head by now!

on the car subject ...
What was wrong with the car?

Last edited by Stealth; 10-01-2009 at 04:48 PM.