Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Sticking door lock stem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Default Sticking door lock stem

My driver's door lock stem has begun to stick sometimes, in the lock position. It's been getting cold here, and this morning I had to hit the FOB three times before it would pop up. Is there a lubrication requirement for this? Can I just squirt some silicone spray down in it from the top?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Well, it seems that no one is interested...but, for the sake of completeness and those who may come after, I give a final update.

Finally, the FOB would not work, the key would not turn, and the stem could not be pulled up from the inside of the car, leaving me to crawl over the hump to get out the passenger side. Hidden behind a couple pieces of trim were a couple screws that allowed the cover of the door on the inside to be, at least partially, removed; but that didn't help much, as there was another cover underneath it that mostly hid the actuator and latch mechanisms.

With the window down, and using a couple of 30" screwdrivers and a fiber optic camera to locate the locking mechanism in the latch assembly, the lock was finally released, allowing the door to be opened. Whew!

From there it was pretty straightforward to remove the latch assembly, whose few rustable parts (mostly springs) were well-rusted. Liberal applications of Blast and WD40, while repeatedly exercising the mechanisms, freed everything up nicely. The judicious application of bearing grease as both lubricant and sealant completed the rehabilitation of the assembly. After reassembling, everything is working normally.

Since there was no sign of water entry into the door cavity, I assume condensation had worked this mischief over a period of some 8 years since the car was made.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

It does seem lately that very few questions get any response. Seems to be a trend in most of the forums. Anyway, you seem to have found the big trouble spots. I had locks that were getting sticky on my 66 Charger when I first got it and running some WD-40 down the lock pull works to free the pivot point. Make sure the window is up so you do not get oil all over them. And protect the door trim.
You can also squirt a little WD-40 directly into the keyslot of the lock cylinders using the spot tube. Just a tiny bit goes a long way. Helps keep internal locking parts free. Or coat the key itself and work the lock a few times. Stops frozen locks in the winter too.
I use lithium grease on the door catch and latch, hood catch and all door hinges on all my cars. (A little goes a long way here too)

Rcad