Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Pics of my 98 sts and an update!!!! Check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by ActionJackson4205
They may have been referring to the case half seal for the oil leak. The engine has a 2 piece block. The crankshaft is between the two halves. It is very common on that engine for the seal to go bad and cause a huge oil leak. Daddylac is right about the cost of it. I chose to do it on one of my motors when I did the headgaskets but not the other. Bad Idea. It leaks now and I will have to pull it and split the motor again. Prob a good idea for you to have done at the same time if you do the headgaskets.
Thats what i meant they were asking if if i had wanted it changed. I said NO since they said it wasnt bad yet, and may be a good idea to change it. So most likely i will then have an oil leak soon too.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Well, changed the water pump, thermostat, and also the little belt and tensioner that drives the water pump, drive it for 20 min, no issues, go on the interstate, overheats right away! AWESOME! NOT! We changed the radiator cap because it seems to be getting moist around the cap every time the car is driven, I drove the car home after that (45 Min drive) and did not have any issues but, it had cooled down to about 70 degrees and there was no interstate driving. And I was wondering, what PSI radiator cap is supposed to be on these cars? according to AC Delco, there part number shows a 18PSI cap but Stant shows a 15PSI cap??????

Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

when it over heats does the top radiator hose feel full as if there is air instead of coolant. If you can squeeze it and feel the hot coolant you should be fine but if it feels like its full of air then you may have to burp the system. Also since you say it overheats how hot exactly did it get and did you stop or keep going?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:42 PM

It would get up in the 245-248 area and I would stop right away, let the car cool down and then continue, oddly enough, as fast as the car heats up, it cools down just as quickly. I have asked other members about "burping" the system and I was told that this car does it automatically, maybe you know something they dont? Also, does ANYONE know what PSI cap is supposed to be on the radiator overflow tank? AC-DELCO and the dealer say 18, other sites say 15PSI, thanks.....

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

Most of the time its easier to just manually burp the system so you know there is no air. Mine has a 15psi cap and when mine overheated the cap was wet around it and found out air was getting into the system because of the gaskets. See if you can get the coolant tested for gas or oil contamination. That may tell you more of whats going on as well

Old 05-19-2009, 03:30 AM

I already performed the combustion leak test on the coolant, twice actually. And it passed both times. Since replacing the cap about 3 days ago, the car has not gone above 212 degrees. With the old cap there always seemed to be moisture around the cap, and since replacing it there has been none. The cap on there before was a 15PSI cap, and the cap on there now is one I got from the dealer, which is a AC-DELCO part and is 18PSI. I'm not saying anything is fixed, as I still haven't driven the car on the interstate, which is where I always have issues. But its VERY hot here (Tucson AZ) and the car has had no issues driving in the 100 + degree weather, with the A/C on, and over hills as well. So I'll keep you posted on what happens when I take it on the interstate.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Well, still having issues, I'm leaving for Vegas on Tuesday (not with my car obviously) and once I get back im going to take the car to a mechanic and find out for sure whats going on. Even with it being 95 degrees out with the a/c on, in stop and go traffic the car doesn't over heat, but after about 20 min of driving, and once i have to drive up a hill, it gets hot almost instantly. Talking with the Caddy dealer on the phone they said around 3k for the headgaskets to be replaced, which is what I expected. Wish me luck in Vegas I will let you guys know what happens when I get back!