Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Update: 1971 Eldorado Convertible - Finally got some pictures and test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Update: 1971 Eldorado Convertible - Finally got some pictures and test drive

I have a chance to buy a 71 convertible. It has 150,000 miles. Overall it looks in great shape. It was recently re-painted (in the original yellow). Just wondering. The guy is asking $3800. Is it worth it? I am new to this stuff, but I really enjoy older cadillacs.

Thanks,
Rambis

OK, I did not have a mechanic look at it yet, but I did get a test drive. The top was up and it made a clicking noise because there are some problems with getting it to attach securely.

The top looked OK. The power windows worked. The power seat also worked somewhat, no tilt, etc. I was kind of disappointed that the seat did not go back farther. I'm 6'6", so I like leg room. The motor sounded good, looked clean. It shifted nicely.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3577/D19F50373F6747D48D75DAD43BC39448.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1971 Eldorado Convvertable - Question

Really need to have a lot more info. On a 36 year old car there is a lot to check.The list is long, such as check rockers and quarters for rust, definately put car on rack, all power mechanisms for seats windows and top etc., so if you can tell us what you have already looked in to and maybe post pics we can give it a shot.

Best bet is if you have a local mechanic that is ****.It may be worth the 65 or 75 bucks for the hour he spends on the car. It's hard to value any car without seeing it in person.Looks can bedeceiving. That's one reason I would never buy a car on e-bay.

In any case good luck and don't forget to post a pic of the car here.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

is the car in Bakersfield?

Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I plan on having a mechanic look at this week. I only got to look at it briefly because I was at work and the guy brought it by. Anyways, I plan on getting some pictures tomorrow and look it over myself and post my findings.

I had a chance to buy a '84 DeVille with 50K, but I got scared away because of the head gasket problem. I was not aware of this until just a couple days ago. The mechanic I plan on using warned about the aluminum heads on these cars.

Thanks,
Rambis

Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Palm Springs

ORIGINAL: Stealth

is the car in Bakersfield?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

aluminum? you talking about the '71 or the '84?

the car is SMOG waived. simple engines, no computers.
even overhauls are simple.

biggest concern on the '71, i would think is the suspension, top mechainis, and rust.

Gary, what ya'u think?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

I think the car has been in the desert its whole life, so there is no rust. The upholstry needs to be redone. The top looked like it was in good condition, but was having a few mechanical problems. It was up at the time I saw it. It had recently been painted in it original color (light yellow). Not sure about all the power stuff, but I will check it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the posts.

Rambis

ORIGINAL: Stealth

aluminum? you talking about the '71 or the '84?

the car is SMOG waived. simple engines, no computers.
even overhauls are simple.

biggest concern on the '71, i would think is the suspension, top mechainis, and rust.

Gary, what ya'u think?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Default Another Picture

Here is another picture. Oh, no rust.

Another twist, look at the guy imbedded in the palm tree. Weird.

Rambis

[IMG]local://upfiles/3577/3A8F6116055A45E5BA12A612376BDEB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Another Picture

Great looker, but you have piqued my curiosity regarding the palm tree. Hard to tell if it is someone we would all know? And how is it embedded in the tree? Painted? Is the tree included in the price? LOL.

Let us know what your mechanic says regarding suspension etc.

Thanks for the post.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Another Picture

It is just a optical illusion. It is just the way the bark on the palm tree peeled back, plus angle of sun, etc. It must be a sign!

I think I going to jump in the caddy arena and buy it. It will go nice with my 1970 Blazer.

Rambis

Quick Reply: Update: 1971 Eldorado Convertible - Finally got some pictures and test drive