Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

tire cupping problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Default RE: tire cupping problems

Foxpaws said it best
Remember - once a tire starts to wear - it continues to wear the same way-no 'getting better' by rotating the tire to a new location.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: gyalteaser

Foxpaws said it best
Remember - once a tire starts to wear - it continues to wear the same way-no 'getting better' by rotating the tire to a new location.
Aww, shucks. A good, long burnout can take that cupping out. I just can't get my Caddies to do burnouts. Traction control, ya know.

I once thought I had a bad wheel bearing on my '85 Z-28, left front. It sounded & felt exactly like one. I replaced bearings. Not fixed. I replaced rotor (races not perfect.) Not fixed. I replaced spindle (some pitting.) Not fixed. Swapped front tires, noise moved to right side. I still look at myself in the mirror and think, "Idiot."

Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: khanawalt

ORIGINAL: gyalteaser

Foxpaws said it best
Aww, shucks. A good, long burnout can take that cupping out. I just can't get my Caddies to do burnouts. Traction control, ya know.

I once thought I had a bad wheel bearing on my '85 Z-28, left front. It sounded & felt exactly like one. I replaced bearings. Not fixed. I replaced rotor (races not perfect.) Not fixed. I replaced spindle (some pitting.) Not fixed. Swapped front tires, noise moved to right side. I still look at myself in the mirror and think, "Idiot."
I believe that YES, you can .. disable the Traction Control, that is.

Ask Gary ..

Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

Tires can still be "trued" or shaved if you have stock car or scca racing in your area. Street Classes normally require street tires and tires with little or no tread perform better than tires with all their tread. Explaining to a concerned partner what happen to the new tire that now has very little tread can be challenging. You may find some one near your to "true" tire but when they're done tread depth is likely to be 1/16" lower than lowest point of cupped area. On car balancing went away with technology, 90% of the time modern spin balancers could do the job faster and with less operator training. I'm sure there are still a few place out there that can still do it using strobe light. I don't believe the old balancer head would stay on most aluminum wheels made today. Some lines a tire manufacture makes are more prone to cupping than others.GM has never stated info regarding tire cupping in trucks. It did show up as they softened up ride to be more like a car than a truck.In cars, when the front wheel drive car showed up with about 65-70% front weight distribution.Tire makers say to balance and rotate tires atleast every 6k miles, due tires go out of balance as they wear. In the olden days tire cupping was due to under inflation,tire balance, misalignment,and/or weak shocks or springs. Sometimes it was the type of tire. It also can be driver induced, if you tend over drive the suspension causing tire(s) to skip across pavement when turning.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

[/quote]

I believe that YES, you can .. disable the Traction Control, that is.

Ask Gary ..

[/quote]

I'm not sure about Ken's caddys. The Allante (93) was ahead of it's time. You can disable the traction control on the DIC for 11 ignition cycles. What a blast.