Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

2005 escalade speedometer cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Default 2005 escalade speedometer cold weather

Obviously I'm aware of all the problems with GM clusters, but before I replace it I have a question. For the past 4-5 winters the speedometer on my escalade reads high, ONLY when the temp gets below freezing. All other gauges work fine, and are not affected by the cold. Only a problem 2-3 months out of the year.
I took it to a Cadillac repair shop when it first started, and the tech just said that the cluster is bad, and they had problems with them. He couldn't tell me why it only happens in low temps, and why nothing else has ever been affected.
Wondering if it could be the speed sensor at the transmission instead. Is that an easy fix? Find it hard to believe it's a bad stepper motor, that's only sensitive to the cold. Any have an cold related issues. Thanks

Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

If VSS is inop transmission won't shift, SES and stability lights will be on. The clusters have had multiple problems, the stepper motors being most common. It has integrated electrical circuits a poor solder joint would be enough. When it is cold enough component contracts deforms and opens circuit.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=slowroll;52658]If VSS is inop transmission won't shift, SES and stability lights will be on. The clusters have had multiple problems, the stepper motors being most common. It has integrated electrical circuits a poor solder joint would be enough. When it is cold enough component contracts deforms

Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=deepspider;52659]
Originally Posted by slowroll
If VSS is inop transmission won't shift, SES and stability lights will be on. The clusters have had multiple problems, the stepper motors being most common. It has integrated electrical circuits a poor solder joint would be enough. When it is cold enough component contracts deforms
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any problems with any lights or shifting. My thought was that if the stepper motor or solder joint was bad, that the problem would go away when the interior heats up. I was thinking that the only part of this in the cold is a speed sensor in the trans