Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Smoking from INSIDE??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Default Smoking from INSIDE??????

So im driving home from work and im 3 blocks away when Istart smelling the smell of coolant when it starts getting hot....little by litle thick white smoke/vapor starts seeping out of vent right behind front windshield.....i pull over immediately and open the hood thinking the engine is overheating. Nothing unusual under hood, no smoke, nothing, meanwhile smoke is still coming out of "defrosting vent" turned off car and smoke went away slowly. WHEW! I waited till smoke stopped and turned car back on and drove the 3 blocks home asap.....as soon as I get home smoke starts again, this time lasting a little bit longer. Is it the heater coil that messed up or what?? any similar experiences?? car is running fine, coolant level is fine any help please? if it is the heater coil...how hard is it to replace?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default steam from INSIDE??????

ORIGINAL: black99

So im driving home from work and im 3 blocks away when Istart smelling the smell of coolant when it starts getting hot....little by litle thick white smoke/vapor starts seeping out of vent right behind front windshield.....i pull over immediately and open the hood thinking the engine is overheating. Nothing unusual under hood, no smoke, nothing, meanwhile smoke is still coming out of "defrosting vent" turned off car and smoke went away slowly. WHEW! I waited till smoke stopped and turned car back on and drove the 3 blocks home asap.....as soon as I get home smoke starts again, this time lasting a little bit longer. Is it the heater coil that messed up or what?? any similar experiences?? car is running fine, coolant level is fine any help please? if it is the heater coil...how hard is it to replace?

that is not smoke, its steam.

sounds like either the heater core went or the hose went.
gotta fix it asap or bypass it.

drive it like that and you are going to see so many other problems that you wish you had parked it.
if you dont have another car or the time, bypass the core from the engine side.

I'm just curious .. how often did the coolant got changed .. ?

at 8 years old, this sounds odd unless the coolant system never got changed,
the hose failed, or someone was working on the car and disturbed the hoses.

if the carpet got wet, dry it tonight .. you dont want mold.