Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

1992 Cadillac Eldorado starting issues, rough/no idle, smoking engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Default 1992 Cadillac Eldorado starting issues, rough/no idle, smoking engine

Hey guys,

I just wanted to introduce you to my 1992 Cadillac Eldorado and was hoping to get some advice on the issues it has lately.
I bought the car in april 2013 with 103k miles on it. By that time it was running great without any major problems. Maybe that was 'cause I only took it for trips from 3 to 5 miles per ride (work and back home).
2 weeks ago I took it for its first long trip (about 130 miles) and I had no issues on the way there. But on the way back the car started to sound funny from time to time (usually when going around 50 mph), kinda like as if there was a cylinder failing and I would drive around with only 7 cylinders left or maybe even less. The engine just seemed to run less smooth than usual and I was pretty sure to notice a lack of power when accelerating too.
When I got home, as soon as I pulled into the driveway there was steam coming out of the engine compartment and the coolant was pouring out of the water pump. As soon as I added coolant to the radiator, the coolant was pouring out of the water pump right away.
So I changed the water pump and now the coolant stays where it belongs. Not even a single drip. So I'm pretty sure I didn't make it worse.
But when I reinstalled the battery, the fun began.

First problem:
All of a sudden the car won't idle anymore. The first time it started right away, but I had to play with the gas pedal, to keep the car alive. After doing this for a couple of minutes, the car will idle (pretty rough though, again it sounds like there are not all of the cylinders working). If I do not keep it alive by playing with the gas pedal, the car will die and not start at all again. It just keeps crankin', but won't fire. So I disconnected the battery again and let it sit for a night. The next day I got the same result:
First try: Starts right away, but won't idle unless played with the gas pedal for a bit.
Every other try (after letting the car die or shutting it of properly): The car won't start at all or if it does, it won't idle at all, even after several minutes of playing with the gas pedal. It'll die as soon as I stop.

Second problem:
The engine is smoking. I always knew about a crack in the exhaust manifold. And I wasn't too concerned about smoking coming out of there. But now my car just smokes way more than usual. And I got the feeling that there may be more cracks at places I can't see. But then again, I'm not too concerned about the source of the smoke, but the amount itself, coming out of the engine and the exhaust in the back. I'll have some videos ready for you guys so you can take a look.
Additionally I noticed, that there's unburned fuel coming out of the crack in the exhaust manifold. Wouldn't that mean, that there are some of the cylinders not working, as I assumed? And the fuel just doesn't get combusted? Then again, the smoke is mostly white. Wouldn't that indicate water/coolant in the combustion chamber? Maybe the head gasket?
I pulled the error codes too. To my surprise, there was no "current" error but only history ones. Here they are:

E052 History
I052 History
A052 History
R025 History
R033 History
R034 History
(E034 History)

The xx52 codes are just memory resets by my understanding, caused by the disconnection of the battery. And I'm not sure if the inflatable restraint can cause these issues.
The E034 (MAP Sensor Signal Out of Range?) didn't come back up, after I cleared the ECM-Codes.

Here's the deal: I'm a student from germany, just doing an internship in the U.S. and I was thrilled by the thought of driving an american V8 during that time. My internship ends at the end of september. After that, I'll have to sell the car anyways. So right now I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest fix, which will get me to and from work (about 3 miles per ride) the next 2 months. Unfortunately I don't have much tools around here. Basically just everything you need to change a water pump.
So if anybody of you got an idea what I could do to get my car back in a condition to drive me around safely, I appreciate it.

And thanks already for taking the time to read through all this whining

Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM