Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

over heating out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: over heating out of ideas

bottom rad hoses collapse at high flow, air in the system creates pump cavitation,
Dex-Cool gels blocks passages, hot exhaust leaking into cooling system boils coolant,
stuck thermostats stop flow, backwards thermostats prevent flow, and the best ?
water pump impelelrs installed BACKWARDS dont pump well - yes, the assy people do screw up.

have you tried block & check?

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_7193/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: rod67rsz

97 model with only 72000 miles I have replaced water pump, flushed the radiator, new hoses, replaced thremostat, fans operate properly in high and low speed. now i have removed the thermostat altogether. radiator is cool but motor is hot apears not to be circulating water from bottom radiator hose to top radiator hose. but i sprayed water through it and it blows out the top of the resevior. Please help. by the way no water in exhaust or oil. no signs of a blown head gaket. thanks in advance for any advise

Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 PM

check your heater core hoses when your car is at operating temp. if one is much hotter than the other one your heater core is plugged. I had 1998 deville 4.6 that no one could solve the overheating problem in after changing water pump, radiator, thermostat, had it flushed it still over heated. everyone said it was more than likely the head gasket, but it wasn't using fluid. as my last resort I unhooked the lower heater core hose and bypassed the heater core to see if it would solve my problem, IT DID ! For some reason if the heater core is plugged it doesn't allow the coolant to circulate properly in the engine, causing it to overheat. You can bypass the heater core by removing both hoses off of the heater core and connecting them together with copper pipe or plastic coupler, it's the easiest way to see if it solves your problem, if it does then replace your heater core.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM

check your heater core hoses when your car is at operating temp. if one is much hotter than the other one your heater core is plugged. I had 1998 deville 4.6 that no one could solve the overheating problem in after changing water pump, radiator, thermostat, had it flushed it still over heated. everyone said it was more than likely the head gasket, but it wasn't using fluid. as my last resort I unhooked the lower heater core hose and bypassed the heater core to see if it would solve my problem, IT DID ! For some reason if the heater core is plugged it doesn't allow the coolant to circulate properly in the engine, causing it to overheat. You can bypass the heater core by removing both hoses off of the heater core and connecting them together with copper pipe or plastic coupler, it's the easiest way to see if it solves your problem, if it does then replace your heater core.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM

Disconnect surge tank purge line at tank and at thermostat housing. Clean both hose fittings and blow out purge rail. If clogged you will see a gloppy liquid come out. That was the problem for my 2000 Deville.