Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Over Heating Problem... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Default Over Heating Problem... Please Help

Hello Guys. Sorry my first post have to be a car issue but I have a 98 seville and around 130K it started overheating. I believe the the person who had the car prior to me buying it put a lot of heavy duty stop leak in the radiator. So I had my radiator, thermostat, belt and water pump replaced and it is still overheating at a consistant rate. The fans are fully functional but it seems as if the coolant isnt flowing to me engine correctly. I have no visual leakage and I dont wanna believe that I have blown head gaskets. What shoud i do next? Do you think its my heads or could it just be a simple blockage somewhere? I am lost right now guys? Please Help

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Over Heating Problem... Please Help

Hey Hollywood: You never mentioned the hoses. Did those get changed?? Make sure that your bottom hose is not collapsing on you . See if it is soft and spongy it should have a wire coil inside to prevent this.How is the overall performance other that overheating?? Maybe a timing issue.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: hollywoodj10

Hello Guys. Sorry my first post have to be a car issue but I have a 98 seville and around 130K it started overheating. I believe the the person who had the car prior to me buying it put a lot of heavy duty stop leak in the radiator. So I had my radiator, thermostat, belt and water pump replaced and it is still overheating at a consistant rate. The fans are fully functional but it seems as if the coolant isnt flowing to me engine correctly. I have no visual leakage and I dont wanna believe that I have blown head gaskets. What shoud i do next? Do you think its my heads or could it just be a simple blockage somewhere? I am lost right now guys? Please Help
run a exhaust gas test and /or read:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_7193/tm.htm

Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys.... i got my engine flushed and the factory acdelco waterpump installed on my car and its running normal..... thanks for everything

Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear this. It seems that the minute a Northstar overheats owners are thinking the worst, the head gaskets are gone, but there are a lot of components to the cooling system. I said it before and I'll say it again, since 1993 there has to be well over 3,000,000 Northstars out there and we only hear about the few that need head gaskets because people bring us their problems.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Hi,
I'm a new member with an overheating problem also. My 98 STS has only 60K miles on it and it's overheating. The first thing the GM dealer said was...yeah, it's probably the head gaskets. Then he told me it'll run me somewhere between $4500 and $5000 to repair. My wifetold me she heard a rushing water sound the last time she drove it and said it ran rough up a hill. I just can't believe a babied Northstar with only 60K has to have head gaskets replaced already. I feel as if I'm being taken advantage of. Am I just being paranoid?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

For both posts involving overheating - there are a lot of posts on this subject it general tech and model sections. I suggest seaching them, for direction of what may be cause your concern. Then repost if you can't find the info you need. At 60k miles head gasket failure is unusal, unless car was driven with warning lights on( low coolant, engine hot,etc).Make sure water pump belt is intact.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98 Seville STS

Hi,
I'm a new member with an overheating problem also. My 98 STS has only 60K miles on it and it's overheating. The first thing the GM dealer said was...yeah, it's probably the head gaskets. Then he told me it'll run me somewhere between $4500 and $5000 to repair. My wifetold me she heard a rushing water sound the last time she drove it and said it ran rough up a hill. I just can't believe a babied Northstar with only 60K has to have head gaskets replaced already. I feel as if I'm being taken advantage of. Am I just being paranoid?
You are not being paranoid.

IF the dealer said that w/o testing the coolant or doing other tests, I call it irresponsilbe and I for one, would like to know the name of that dealer.

But, maybe you didnt tell the whole story? I hope that is the case and then we can go from there.

In the meantime, take a look here:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_7193/tm.htm

Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM

Hey how are you. i'm gonna give it to you straight...you're head gaskets are gone. i had the same problem...no visible leak, overheating, i always smelt coolant etc...
the problem is the head bolts are stripped and they need to be replaced. you're best solution is to get the car to Jake wiebe 1-877-866-5355 he is a pro located in Tillsonburg ontario about 2 hours from windsor or toronto.his prices are the most reasonable i've heard and he will give you a 1 year warrenty or 30000kms. Jake makes his own bolts in his shop and will have the whole job done in about 3 days. my 1998 deville went in on 03 nov 08 and it has been running perfectly since i got it back. Jake is a true perfectionist with a real passion for caddy's. your car will be perfect. my temp does not get higher than 83 celcius. no leaks at all. my car is a pleasure to be in, something i haven't been able to say ever!
his price is only $1250 i got quotes from gm at about $7000
Do yourself a favour and give hime a call. you will not regret it.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM

No no no theres no need to assume that your head gaskets are gone! Like Katamans said there are alot of components to the cooling system and it would only make sense to troubleshoot and trace the problem before jumping the gun. I personally never take my cars to the dealership. Dealerships tend to jump the gun and replace everything before they try to fix something. If you have a motor that needs a new cam, instead of replacing the camdealerships would rather charge you for a new engine install. I would find a good reliable mechanic and have them service your caddy. Overheating could be alot of things, bad water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, clogs, etc. so have a good mechanic check it out and let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Over Heating Problem... Please Help