Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Hard start up when warm after 30 min./canister?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Default Hard start up when warm after 30 min./canister?????

I just had my 98 Cadillac Deville (156,000 miles)sent into the dealer to get the sparkplugs,new wires,etc....just the basics.........but ever since I purchased the car it always has a hard time starting up. Lets say I drive the car for a good 30 min. and then shut er down and sit for a little while (20min.)......being that its still warm (not cold) it will not kick over. In order for me to get the engine going I have to feather the gas pedal until it starts........on the other hand it starts up right away when the engine is cold...............

Maybe the reason this is happening is that once in a while i get the message (Check Gas Cap) and engine light......I have bought new caps but doesnt seem to work......I can clear the codes just fine but they pop up once in a while........any thought of why this is happening?

I do notice that there is a canister missing under the bumper(not the EVAP canister)on the left side of the car(when facing the front).Moms 97 deville concourshas this but mine doesnt....it fell off........This canister only has one line coming out of it and Im pretty sure it has to do with a va***. A line connects to a three way something one vacuum line goes into the firewall, the other goes to the canister,and the other goes to something on the engine manifold...... its kinda hard to describe.....Thank you so much for the help.....Ryan

Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hard start up when warm after 30 min./canister?????

Hard warm start generally:
1. Clogged or very dirty air Filter
2. Fuel delivery problem.

Missing Canister.....sounds like a climate controlcomponent but we will check and advise. I take it from your ID name "malibu" you do not use the heater very often.