Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Glovebox stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Default Glovebox stuck closed

How do I open a glovebox that has what appears to be a broken lock? The car is a 1999 Cadillac DeVille, base model. When I turn the key it turns freely so I am assuming the mechanism is broken.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Exclamation

I just ran into the exact same problem yesterday. Went to get my sunglasses, can't open the glove compartment. This is bad because my registration is in there -- if I were to get pulled over for any reason I'm screwed.

I never lock it, and the slot was vertical, so I'm assuming this is the unlocked position. But the key turns easily, meaning it somehow got locked and the mechanism is broken. Gee, I could look at it; all I have to do is get the &*$^$ thing open!

Is there some kind of cheater tool that can unlatch it? How do I get inside withour ripping out the dash? I've looked through this, and several other forums, and it seems lots of people have the same questions but there are no answers.

Hello out there, has anybody FIXED this?

(Chains rattling)

Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM

Did you ever figure this out?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 AM

It's one of those things I could not do myself. Took it to the Cadillac dealer. All I really got out of them was that the hard part was getting it open, and the new latches are only available in black -- actually doesn't look bad. I had asked if they could give me back the old mechanism; they said they would but musta forgotten.

I've had a number of issues lately with this car, and this dealer get a lot of money from me lately. BUT -- it's the nicest car I've ever had, it still only has about 53,000 miles on it, and it's long been paid for, so to me it's worth it.

I DO have to scratch my head over this glove box latch -- after building cars for over 100 years, how hard is it to make a glove box latch that doesn't break? Of course the NEW ones don't have a latch -- you push a button on the dash and the motor opens and closes it . . .

Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 AM

Thanks Gary, I went to junkyard in Osprey yesterday for another part and checked a glove box latch. Simple operation on latch, it must be the lock itself. I think a slim piece of metal might get it. I let you know.

I bought this 99 DeVille a couple of weeks ago in North Port for a winter car here in Fl. We are from Maine. Your right it is a great ride.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 AM

Gee, sounds like you're local. I'm in Sarasota.

If you're not busy Friday night, there's a car cruise at Denny's in Venice. It's in the back, as they're building a Carrabba's in the parking area where we USED TO do the show. I'll be there, although probably not in the DeVille -- I've got a Thunderbird I usually take there.

Saturday is Arcadia -- and I WILL take either the Deville or my wife's CTS (she goes with me to that show, it's a drive, and the T-bird doesn't have working heater or A/C -- another issue for another forum..)

Old 01-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Hey thanks for the invite but we are committed this weekend. Maybe next week.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 AM

Next Friday night is a show in Englewood -- Wink's Café behind Stefano's. There are others -- PM me if interested.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 AM

did ever get the box open with out the dealer

Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

With the 85-99 Deville, 92-02 Eldo, 92-97 Seville all use the same latch. Normally the handle is broken and that's why it wont open. Just in case make sure try key to make sure it's not locked. Push in on door as handle is actuated to be sure it's not binding on something. It still stuck pry handle off it may open or you may have to play with lock through hole in bezel. Once it's open odd are it won't latch again. Glove box light can kill battery unless disabled, if door is left open.