Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Deville DTS 2001 Digital dash display

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Default Deville DTS 2001 Digital dash display

I haven't had much luck so far so I am adding some more symptoms. My DTS has a switchable dash display, it can show an analog image, a digital image or both. Additionally, it should show an image of the shifter position. Here's the scoop, the analog image is fine. The digital image is non-existant and the shifter position image appears when I first get in the car in the morning (it is in a garage) and disappears after about 15 minutes but the shifter cursor is still visible. I bought this car used about 1 week ago and the dealer tells me everything worked when he and his wife test drove it. I know, you think he's BS'ing me. Maybe so, but he has asked me to bring the car back so he can fix it .... doesn't sound like BS to me. I have tried the battery + terminal off reset trick to no avail.
The Cadillac dealer says I need a new IPC (Inst Panel Cluster). Again ... maybe so... but I do not trust dealers, they take the easy way out and ensure you pay the big price. Any ideas out there? Relay? Fuse? RBH? ( Really Big Hammer) .... Thanks ... for your input

Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by syzygy
I haven't had much luck so far so I am adding some more symptoms. My DTS has a switchable dash display, it can show an analog image, a digital image or both. Additionally, it should show an image of the shifter position. Here's the scoop, the analog image is fine. The digital image is non-existant and the shifter position image appears when I first get in the car in the morning (it is in a garage) and disappears after about 15 minutes but the shifter cursor is still visible. I bought this car used about 1 week ago and the dealer tells me everything worked when he and his wife test drove it. I know, you think he's BS'ing me. Maybe so, but he has asked me to bring the car back so he can fix it .... doesn't sound like BS to me. I have tried the battery + terminal off reset trick to no avail.
The Cadillac dealer says I need a new IPC (Inst Panel Cluster). Again ... maybe so... but I do not trust dealers, they take the easy way out and ensure you pay the big price. Any ideas out there? Relay? Fuse? RBH? ( Really Big Hammer) .... Thanks ... for your input
Well, got a lot of lookers but no solutions from the Cadillac Guru's. Well, it's fixed and very simple to boot. Imagine this ... the local Cadillac dealer wanted to replace the Inst Panel Cluster at a part cost of $400 and I imagine the same cost for Labor. Well, my local shade tree mechanic had it fixed in 10 minutes. The Solution, a faulty ground connection. Now works like a charm .... Cost $0.00. Ya gotta love those dealers .......

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by syzygy
Well, got a lot of lookers but no solutions from the Cadillac Guru's. Well, it's fixed and very simple to boot. Imagine this ... the local Cadillac dealer wanted to replace the Inst Panel Cluster at a part cost of $400 and I imagine the same cost for Labor. Well, my local shade tree mechanic had it fixed in 10 minutes. The Solution, a faulty ground connection. Now works like a charm .... Cost $0.00. Ya gotta love those dealers .......

ground connections and connectors are a big big problem on all modern cars, specially those with cheap contacts instead of gold plated contacts.

read out "e-ghosts" thread and you will likely find the solution for other issues to come !