Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1997 Deville antilock & brake light on why...

Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Default 1997 Deville antilock & brake light on why...

Hi all,
I just bought a 1997 Deville .Took it for a test drive and the brakes were very very bad but no antilock & brake light was on.

I had the dealership fix the brakes before taking possession.Supposedly they cut all rotors replaced all pads.But then the antilock & brake light was on immediately afterwards.Supposedly they reset the computer but no luck.

What could they of done for this to happen? Is there a wire or a sensor etc they could of messed up...

They supposed to order a sensor (don't know what) but I am not holding my breath as They don't have the car anymore.

The brakes feel fine except for the lights are on.

I did have them sign saying that they will fix whatever is wrong with the brakes but you know how that is after they have your money.

So I wanted to try to see if it was something I could do by myself if they don't follow through.

Thanks

Michael

Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Default RE: 1997 Deville antilock & brake light on why...

I notice on my 91 deville that my ABS light would stay off when i rest untill i turned teh front wheels so in my case i norwed it down to my front wheels and then jack up teh car and had my friend look at the light after a reset it to off and I wigled the wire 1 at a time till the ABS light came on.

So to finsh up my right front wheel sensor was out on my car replace it its fine now wheel senors cost $50 - $80
i went to the junck yard i lucked out $5 LOL

Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: 1997 Deville antilock & brake light on why...

Well, before you do anything it's a good idea to check the codes first. You can do it by pressing and holding the OFF and passenger warmer buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds untill all of the LED displays light up. Post the codes here and someone will tell you what they mean.

I think the most likey thing is that they didn't put the brake pad sensor in right.