Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

02 deville door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 AM

I am a little more than shady tree. I should be able to follow you. Mostly I build mud trucks and off road stuff. These new electronics are confusing but hell, Lets learn. Hopefully this post will help others. Thanks GMTECHS.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 AM

to bad u did not have a gmtech 2 this would be easy to fix, but anyways we will try
start with something easy

is the valet switch working should be in the off position. if not sure unplug it and use the meter set to ohms measure the wires one will say open other will give u a reading (we r measuring the buttom to make sure it goes on and off)
if u get a reading in both position leave unpluged and try fuel door and trunk release

this would stop fuel door and trunk from opening

if ok we will check the trunk

check for power and ground at the trunk release

do the same at the fuel door

key on ( not really necessary but this way i know the system has power)

ok alot
here is the pin out at the headlight switch

Connector Part Information
  • 16-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series (BLK)
Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function
A1
ORN
Front Fog Lamp Switch Signal
A2
BLK/WHT
Ground
A3
--
--
Not Used
A4
LT GRN
Left Park Lamp Relay Control (Export)
A5
WHT
Headlamp Switch Headlamps On Signal
A6
DK BLU
Right Park Lamp Relay Control (Export)
A7
--
--
Not Used
A8
BRN/WHT
Park Lamp Switch On Signal
B1
LT BLU/BLK
5 Volt Reference
B2
DK GRN
Instrument Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch Signal
B3
YEL
Low Reference
B4
PNK/BLK
Courtesy Lamps Switch On Signal
B5
PPL
Twilight Sentinel Delay Signal
B6
BLK
Rear Compartment Release Switch Signal
B7
YEL
Backlight Lamps Control
B8
PNK/WHT
Fuel Door Release Switch Signal

Last edited by gmtechs; 03-13-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM

ok, I am printing this out. Will check all out. Can you go back to DDM? I see your pin diagram. Could you walk me through the test? The windows work perfectly. One touch up and down front windows. One touch down/hold up for rear. Reset codes. still reading same. Also can you explain where the grounds are located for these items so I can check them. I dont see any wiring damage at the RIM where they could have tried to tap into them for something. I unplugged the RIM and had no change in anything, plus no new codes after driving while unplugged. Thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM

lets start with trunk and gas release and work our way to door locks. easier circuit to work with right now and get u familiar with basic electronics.
because the door locks u may be going deep into it

Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Tested Valet switch. (unplugged and did continuity tested for continuity. Good)
Tested Valet switch for power. (had 12v)

Checked trunk and fuel door switches for proper operation. tested back of harness while plugged in.
(pin B6 had 10v to ground when pushed. Momentary contact I am gathering because it didnt stay 10v)
(pin B8 Had 10v to ground when pushed. Momentary contact.

I read in the owners manual that the doors wont lock from inside unless key is removed? I dont know if this matters, but the tumbler will turn without the key inserted allowing use of everything. Will not allow to start unless key is inserted though. Dont know if tumbler lock is broken. Checked around dash for damaged wires. Saw none. The dash has been pulled apart. I am assuming by someone trying to troubleshoot this problem without proper help.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Chritsy says thank you GMTECHS for helping me do this. She feels better about letting me rip into her baby. Carefully.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM

the volts u should see should be battery voltage seems like u lost a few or battery is low.
is the battery good????
anyways u need to go to the unit now and check and see if u get power back there
so we know u get power to the switch and it leaves the switch no we just want to make sure it reaches the unit. this will be a team effort one will push the switch other one will measure voltage unless your meter has a min and max value then u only need one person

Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Brand new battery from Carquest 3/10. I purchased the battery the car called for. It has the vents for the factory tubes to vent underseat locations. It was a little dark out when I did the test. The headlights were on and radio because the key was turned. Will test solenoids when I get off work around noon. Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Ok, trunk and fuel door solenoid wires have no voltage when pushed and held while measuring. Not even a slight momentary. I also noticed no back-up lights and the "Service Antitheft Device" as well as "Check Coolant Level" warnings come up on instrument panel. Intermitently though. I am ready for the next step.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Also need to know if its normal to be able to turn key tumbler on ignition and have it turn without key inserted. Plus while running I can take the key out of the ignition and drive around. This doesnt seem right to me.

Quick Reply: 02 deville door locks not working