Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Default Front Brakes

Hello I was going to purchase these rotors and pads off Ebay Item #260122132151 he said they are from Centricparts.com.Are these any good or do any of you have a better suggestion?They are for my wifes 03 CTS Thanks

Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front Brakes

How many miles since last brake job?
Centric parts has a distribution center in Miami, so I am familiar. Go to their website and check out prices, or see if there is a distribution center near your location before you buy them on e-bay. These guys make performance rotors etc. and reman calipers, etc. Do a little research. If you just want standard (not performance) rotors check local parts houses. Are you sure you need rotors? My dollars would be for better pads this time.

Good luck.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default cross drilled and slotted rotors

an '03 CTS needs new rotors? why?

You should be able to change out pads only, for the next 5 or 6 brake jobs,
in the next 15 years w/o ever touching the rotors. Unless damage occurred.

GM, FORD, and Lincoln do NOT require rotor replacements OR turning on any brake job
unless damage is obvious. This is clearly stated on the Factory manuals used by the dealers.

OEM rotors are just fine for any driving i can possibly imagen, including triple digit
speeds. is she a racer?

The drilled and slotted rotors are so called "performance" rotors that are not needed
in any American Hwy, even at elevated speeds. Mainly, they are derived from the old
and no longer used asbestos-pads technology for self cleaning and degassing. For the
most part, you will end up with more issues than you got now.

I DITTO on what GARY said.

by source Wikipedia

Many higher performance brakes have holes drilled through them. This is known as cross-drilling and was originally done in the 1960s on racing cars. Brake pads will out gas and under use may create boundary layer of gas between the pad and the disc hurting braking performance. Cross-drilling was created to provide the gas someplace to escape. Although modern brake pads seldom suffer from out gassing problems, water residue may build up after a vehicle passes through a puddle and impede braking performance. For this reason, and for heat dissipation purposes, Cross Drilling is still used on some braking components, but is not favored for racing or other hard use as the holes are a source of stress cracks under severe conditions.

Discs may also be slotted, where shallow channels are machined into the disc to aid in removing dust and gas. Slotting is the preferred method in most racing environments to remove gas, water, and de-glaze brake pads. Some discs are both drilled and slotted. Slotted discs are generally not used on standard vehicles because they quickly wear down brake pads.