Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Default brakes

Hello, new to the forum and would like to ask for advice on a recurring brake problem on my "98 deville. Low mileage car(44,000). When i bought it nearly 3 years ago(mileage then was 32,000) the dealer replaced the brakes on all 4 corners(including rotors) because that was the only problem i saw(low pedal and squeak) with the car before buying. To get to the point, brake pulsing again a few months ago, renewed brake pads, trued rotors. pulse returned within 2 weeks, rotors warped--trued again and roughed up pads. pulse again last week, this time renewed rotors and calipers, i'm pulsing again on higher speed stops. i watch my torque when remounting wheels, can't figure this out. my knowledge of abs troubleshooting is weak, but if you think problem may be there i'm willing to give it a try. I haven't pulled the wheels on the rear to see what's happening there, but after pad change and rotor turns brakes ok for a short period of time. I should mention this work was done to the front brakes. Any help appreciated. don

Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Default RE: brakes

I can only think of one thing. Since you had your front brakes done as they were squealing and the rotors must have been warped; the rear brakes were taking more than their share of the work...If they heated up excessively on and off, the rear brake drums could be warped and out of round. That could cause pulsating. Possible?

Old 06-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: brakes

Rotors can warp anytime they are hot and get cooled off very quickly. If it is a repeat overheating problem then something holding the brakes applied would be subject to inspection. Also certain drivers seem to warp rotors more than others. Please don't take offence, just pointing out most likely causes.