TCC Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM

I just visited my local and reliable transmission repair shop in Rosemount Mn. He was kind enough to perform a diagnostic test drive at no charge using his Snap-On analyzer. I had previously replaced only the TCC solenoid. No codes activated during the test. His analyzer did show some slippage due to the viscous torque converter of between 50 and 140 RPM, again , not enough to trigger my computer to issue a code. The 140 range was only achieved going up hill at 65 MPH during acceleration. Find a good transmission shop and ask them to perform a similar test drive.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

I hope that fixes it, but the specs for converter slip is -20 rpm to 100 rpm slip. When the TCC is applied, the engine is coupled directly to the transmission through the TCC. The TCC slip speed should be near 0. If the PCM sees a slip of greater than the maximum allowed(100 rpm in this case) for more than 4 seconds under a given engine torque, it will set the code.
Fingers crossed!!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Default tcc solenoid

Ok, seven months and several thousand miles after replacing just the tcc solenoid after it had melted and mal-functioned, the transmission is working fine, no service lights or codes.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Exclamation

In another thread, a transmission mechanic said the TCC Solenoid fails due to internal issues. But, when my Cadillac dealer looked at it, they said ONLY the TCC was bad. Similar to others, they wanted $1800 to replace the $30 part. My Extended Service contract would not fix either internal seals or the solenoid, so I can do nothing but "live with it". So, this is proof that the TCC Solenoid WILL go bad on its own.

TS

Old 04-07-2024, 02:54 AM
Default 2002 Cadillac Deville, with 128000 miles looks garage kept only paid 600.00

Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
Whether or not it's worth it depends on how much you like the car, really. I recently had to do the 4T80 in one of my own cars. I just swapped it out for one I already had built to save down time. If the car was a big turd, and I was having a lot of other problems with it(other than the trans), I might not have done it. I've sent several of my Cads to the junk yard(or a "Cars for Kids" program) because they weren't worth me putting any more $$$$ or time into them.
Honestly, I wouldn't go thru the trouble of removing/replacing the trans, and tearing into it to replace the TCC seals without overhauling it. That's just me...I'm in the trans business, so I can do my own stuff fairly cheap.
Overall, the trans is a pretty good design...really heavy duty, but there are some wear issues with the clutches, and the overdrive band. If the OD band burns, it can take the reverse input drum with it...not exactly a cheap deal.
Couldn't say about the head gaskets....I see a LOT of issues with them on this site, so there's obviously a problem with them, but you'll see that with any all aluminuminum engine, imo. Again, it just depends on how well you like the car, and how long you want to keep it.
hth
what all do u mean overhaul or rebuildt ,I'm getting a trouble code, p0741 tcc stuck off??I know it needs a torque converter probably an Solenoid plus the seals where the shaft is ,is there any thing else that yall do,I know an filter an gaskets.i mean it shifts fine an all ,the only thing I can feel the torque converter tho ,but seems to be fine tho ,so is there anything else or what ??thanks for ur time in advance, when u get a chance thanks 😊

Old 04-08-2024, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Superman123
what all do u mean overhaul or rebuildt ,I'm getting a trouble code, p0741 tcc stuck off??I know it needs a torque converter probably an Solenoid plus the seals where the shaft is ,is there any thing else that yall do,I know an filter an gaskets.i mean it shifts fine an all ,the only thing I can feel the torque converter tho ,but seems to be fine tho ,so is there anything else or what ??thanks for ur time in advance, when u get a chance thanks 😊
"Overhaul" or "rebuild"--along with "remanufacture"--all signify about the same thing. There's no legal distinction among those terms, although if you believe the propaganda, "remanufacturing" is somehow, mysteriously more involved and more complete and therefore "better" than the other two.

Point is, the entire transmission is taken apart, all parts inspected, and replaced if faulty. There are usually various upgrades done at the same time--high-failure parts replaced with stronger items, for example. The transmission should come out of the process "better than new"; but of course that's going to depend on the level of attention given to each one of the hundreds of pieces inside an automatic transmission. Which is why the last two (rear-wheel-drive, 4-speed overdrive) transmissions I had overhauled by my favorite local shop were about $3000 each; and they weren't as complex to begin with as your Cadillac transaxle. An overhaul/rebuild/remanufacture of a transmission is not for sissies; and it won't be inexpensive unless you're Bill Gates.

If that were mine, I'd take it to a reputable transmission specialty shop, and ask them for their opinion--and estimates of both time and money for repairs. MAYBE you don't need a complete overhaul. Perhaps a replacement solenoid, harness, fluid flush plus filter, would fix the problem. Who knows? Maybe it's as simple as a broken wire in the wire harness, or a bad connection.

No telling until it's been examined. In MY driveway, the first thing that would happen is to connect a scan tool, drive the car, and see if the computer is commanding torque converter lockup--and see if the engine RPM drops when it does so. If that happens, I'd clear the code and see if it comes back. If the code doesn't come back...problem solved.

Last edited by Schurkey; 04-08-2024 at 05:10 PM.