trans code

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Default trans code

I got a code P0741 on my 2000 deville i think the code is touque converter circuit performance or stuck off. is this a serious problem or is it just a sensor the deville has 82k on the clock

Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

That code on a 4T80E usually winds up being caused by bad seals in the channel plate. Lock-up oil pressure isn't enough to keep the converter applied properly, so it starts to slip. The PCM sees the slip, and ramps up the signal to the TCC solenoid, which eventually melts due to the prolonged application....it's a vicious cycle.
You will probably wind up having the trans removed, the seals in the channel plate replaced, along with the torque converter, and TCC solenoid. This is the MINIMUM you will need to correct the problem. Some trans shops will actually do this, without attempting to sell you a complete overhaul, since it is such a common problem.
Sadly, there is no quick, easy, simple fix...it will require trans removal to fix.
If you look thru the threads here in the Trans forum, you'll see plenty of threads on this code...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM

this sound pricey, any chance it could be a bad sensor or wireing short. I do have a small coolent leak running down on to the trans

Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

Not likely...that code is specifically for a lock-up issue, meaning the PCM has commanded lock-up, but has not seen the rpm range it expects to see. As I stated, this is the #1 most common issue with the 4T80E, period. Just a bad design on those two seals. You MIGHT get away with removing the side cover, and replacing the TCC solenoid, and it might work for a month or so before that one melts too. It's entirely possible that the solenoid isn't melted yet, but the main cause of the malfunction is still going to be the worn seals in the channel plate. Sorry.