Vintage & Classic Cadillacs 1902-1977 Cadillac Models

new guy 1970 Eldorado questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Default new guy 1970 Eldorado questions

ok, I recently picked up a 70 Eldorado (byzantine gold) and it has some issues I'm trying to figure out:
1 - when I turn on the headlights, they eventually start to flash randomly. Is this the actual switch gone bad? If so, are the switches available?
2 - when starting, sometimes the starter cranks other times the newly replaced solenoid just clicks. Battery and starter appear to be good..am I missing something else?
3 - whats with the air valve next to the gas tank neck? Is this for auto-leveling? Car looks like it sits fine, Should I add air?
sorry for all the rookie questions..I hope somebody out there can help.
thanks

Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Welcome.

Headlights : Are they going off and on or switching from high to low beam? Auto dimmer was an option uses a photocell in grill. With system on and headlights in high beam lights will dim to low beam when bright light hits photocell. They also have twilight sentinel or automatic lighting with operates the same as newer cars.

Starter : it could be brushes are sticking on armature, problem with bendix, You could replace brushes and polish commutator see it that solves it. Poor connections including heavy braided ground strap from frame to engine. Along with battery cables if copper is exposed. Eldo came with 500ci it needs to have the correct gauge cables if they have been replaced.

No clue about air valve - could be for air shocks. IDK

You need to get FSM although books are hard to find. I'm sure it is available on disc. There is a set on ebay at this moment.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Slowroll,
thanks for the info. I never thought about the gauge of the positive and negative cables from the battery as a possible problem. I will look into that. So, the standard cables that they sell at the auto parts store are too thin? Do you know the proper gauge? Maybe I should post the question here on the forum?
thanks again

Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Certified Members

0 or 2 gauge should work. I would go with 0. Most auto parts stores have undersized cables on their racks, you may have to ask for the larger diameter cable(s) at counter. Asking for cables for diesel truck may help you get what you need .