Vehicular Projects Land, Air, or Water..if your hobby "moves you", it goes here.

Overhaul 1993 Allante

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default Overhaul 1993 Allante

advice and input will be forwarded to the owner.

by '93 owner

“Overhaul” my 93 Allante…. Yes just like on TV!

It has 100,000 miles and is currently in fairly good condition inside and out.

My current plan is the take the rest of 2007 gathering information and start the project in January 2008.

When I am done my Allante will not be original equipment instead be a hybrid of today’s tech with the classic Allante style.

The car has a few problems that will be addressed as part of this project which includes; worn paint and warped dash.

I would like to keep the total spend on this project in $20,000 ish range.

Some of the things I am planning to have done are:

1. Turn the car into a “Roadster”.
I plan to remove the convertible top, add a piece of aluminum to the car replacing the fiberglass cover, build in a wind break, extending the trunk, using the extra space for a better sound system.

2. Dash “overhaul”
Besides having the dash refinished with new vinyl, I am planning to replace the all in one radio/diagnostic unit. I am well aware it could be a mess, now is the time or never. Plan to use a state of the art electronics cluster… Have done no information gathering on this yet, plan to research options before undertaking.

3. Window switch and door switch replacements
The failure rate on the switch is too high. Plan to replace with a more reliable unit

What I would like is a list of things that I should consider mechanically while I am doing this overhaul.

For example;
What should I do about the Struts / Suspension
A. Leave alone
B. OEM replace (to what?)
C. Upgrade to what?

What should I do about the Northstar engine?
A. Leave alone
B. Modest maintenance (like what?)
C. Significant overhaul (like what?)

Specific frame or body maintenance issues I should address?

Are their any Allante knowledgeable facilities that can handle this project? My current mechanic who builds street racers wants to do this overhaul, I am not opposed to driving it out of Texas for this project.

All advice is welcome.

I bought an Allante when they first came out then traded it in for the 93 I have now so 20+ years of Allante in my blood has made me not want to part with the car.

As to recovering costs... Already spent $70K in 93 dollars for the Allante... we will never recover that anyway.. so what is another $20k?