Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Throttle Body overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Default Throttle Body overhaul

I've resolved to overhaul the throttle body of my brother's 1985 Fleetwood Broughm. It has the HT4100. I'm skilled at R&R and I have instructions from my Haynes Manual and a kit of gaskets and thingies and pressure regulator diaphram from Linder Tech in Indianapolis. But I'm worried about replacing the fuel pressure regulator. The Haynes manual expressly says never to remove the screws which hold it in place. The guy who sold me the kit says it's easy to replace the pressure regulator. Easy for him, he does it everyday. But he wouldn't say just how it's done. Anyone have a little light to shine on this technical black hole? Is it as simple as taking out the old one, putting the new one in its place, and screwing it all back together?

The fuel pressure regulator is the reason for the overhaul. The engine cuts out at seemingly random times: on the highway, at stop lights, anywhere in between. Turn the key off, wait a few seconds, turn it over again and it usually starts right up. This matches other people's descriptions of failed/failing FPR's.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Throttle Body overhaul

Hey Chris: Recently overhauled my tbi unit and it wasn't that big a deal. There is some pretty small o-rings and such but if you take your time and the old attention to detail there should be no problem. On another note the thing that made the most difference for my caddy was the fuel pump. Rather that just going oem I went with a Turbo pump and it not only got rid of the sluggish performance but eliminated the hot start problem I had. Just some food for thought. Good luck with that!!!!!......

Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

I think you are wasting your time on the TBI. Have owned many TBI cars and never was necc to rebuild it. Intermittant quitting can be a fuel pump relay, oil pressure sender or many others things. The fuel pressure regulator is way down on the list to replace. Without verifying lack of spark or lack of fuel at the first few seconds after it quits, you are about to throw alot of parts at this car.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I ECHO all carnut states with special highlights !

I have never seen a need to "rebuild" a throttle body, usually all that is needed (rough idle) is a cleaning of the coke build up, but that is not even the problem you have.

ORIGINAL: carnut

I think you are wasting your time on the TBI. Have owned many TBI cars and never was necc to rebuild it. Intermittent quitting can be a fuel pump relay, oil pressure sender or many others things. The fuel pressure regulator is way down on the list to replace. Without verifying lack of spark or lack of fuel at the first few seconds after it quits, you are about to throw alot of parts at this car.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

The throttle body by its design, having the injector spray above the throttle blades, tends to be self cleaning.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hate to disagree but on the older caddies ie 80-84 the fuel pressure reg. is an intergral part of the tbi not a separate part. It has made a big difference in idle and throttle response. I think the kit cost around 60.00 so not that big a deal.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

So, the original question remains. Does the "integral" regulator come apart to replace the diaphram. Does the spring fly out and hit the ceiling? Again, I say, rebuilding the TB usually does not fix a quitting concern. I would agree rebuilding can affect idle quality.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Original problem sounds like grounding issues anyway not TB.