US Emissions Have a question about getting your car to pass a state emissions test? Ask here.

NYSI problem and other related issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Default NYSI problem and other related issues

hi everyone. Have one heck of a problem. i have put 210 miles on my 96 ETC and the car cannot pass the NYSI because the emissions systems are not ready yet. The 3 things that arent ready are the catalyst, the o2 sensor and the o2 sensor heater. Everything else is ready. In order to get it to pass it is only allowed to have one not ready. I tried every drive cycle i could find and just when i think it will be ready i have to start all over. Noone seems to be able to tell me what could possibly be wrong. Also Unknown to if it is related or not but i have run a full fuel injection service, thoroughly cleaned the TB, replaced the plugs and wires, replaced the IAC. but my mileage is downright aweful. The DIC states that i am getting 9.12 MPG which is outrageous and it also sates that within the 210 miles i have consumed 39 gallons of gas. The car runs beautiful so i do not understand. The only problem i have is that when it sits for a few days when i do a cold start it starts up but then stalls. but when i restart it it runs fine. It also stores a code for a engine stall or near stall. SOrry for the novel but if someone could enlighten me on some of this i am at a loss and have almost had enough with this car. I love the car but i cant even fill the tank because it just guzzles gas. Thanks to all in advance for all of the help

Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: NYSI problem and other related issues

What codes are stored? O2 heater codes usually mean you need new O2 sensor.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 PM

no codes have been stored in the 325 miles i have been driven except the input speed sensor code

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

If there are no codes other input speed sensor there is a good chance car will pass test. Input speed sensor code effects trans operation which maybe cause of poor fuel economy.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 PM

well i will try to run it through on monday. i just dont want another 10 day.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

it is not uncommon for a car to get poor fuel mileage in Utica's 30F cold weather you are having.

I got a car to SMOG in CA and we are having 60F weather, so I am waiting for 80F to take my car in,
I still got 15 days to get it done.

make darn sure the car has a clean engine, clean oil and is well warmed before they plug her in .. do not pull up and shut her down, keep engine going until the plug her in.

often, oil deposits on the external surfaces affect the emissions equip, usually not to your advantage.
one other thing .. fuel tank .. no more than 1/2 tank will also help.

I got a personal fleet of over 1/2 dozen cars and constantly dealing with SMOG tests,
I learned a few things the hard way .. read this :

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_10275/tm.htm

of course, all that is assuming all sensors are A.OK !