General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsating Road Speed Related Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Default Pulsating Road Speed Related Noise

2001 DTS
55,000 miles

The car makes a road speed related sound akin to that of a single cylinder engine some 100 yards away. Sounds like it comes from the center of dash and about a foot forward. Is NOT related to the sound system or HVAC system and is definately road speed related, goes away when stopped, gets faster (not louder) as road speed increases. Putting the car in neutral or a lower gear at speed does not change the volume or frequency.

Almost sounds like someone put a playing car in my spokes! I have looked under the car to see if a stray leaf or stick got lodged in there somehow and found nothing. Other than the noise the car performs normally.

I am guessing it would be CV related.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Pulsating Road Speed Related Noise

Sounds like you may have bad tire or hub bearing, does noise change when turning?Noise may change as you change load on tires, indicating where to look. CV joints tend to click ,pop, or snap only when turning not going straight.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: slowroll

Sounds like you may have bad tire or hub bearing, does noise change when turning?
No, the noise is the same while turning. There does seem to be some change in the sound if you turn left and right quickly, rather like race car drivers pre-race.

I have inspected the tires and did not find anything. The tires(Goodyear Triple Treads) are only 6 months or so old... I will take it back and have them take a look just to eliminate one variable.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

When doing "pre race" does noise lessen one direction and get more pronounced other or does it stay the same?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: slowroll

When doing "pre race" does noise lessen one direction and get more pronounced other or does it stay the same?
It stays the same. Last evening I put the front up on jack stands and the noise is still there so that eliminates thetires as the source. I then removed the passenger side front wheel as the sounds "seems" to come more from the right than the left. Visually all looks good, no torn boots or other obvious obstructions. There was no play in the axle shaft or outer wheel bearing. I started the car up again sans the right wheel and the noise seems to come from the center of the car... as though there is a bearing in the transaxle. I think my next stop is the dealer... perhaps I can get them to diagnose it better.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Problem solved. Turns out it was the hub carrier bearing. Was able to replace it last evening in just about 2 hoursand no more noise. Next time would take even less time, hopefully there is no next time though.