Street and Strip Made a trip down the dragstrip or around a road course recently? Maybe a dash from a stop light? Tell us about it here!

What's the fastest you've got your Deville up to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM

is there any posibility to take that speed limiter off so u can drive as fast as u want?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM

I personally have been 170+mph in a twin turbo 300zx and never plan to be at that speed ever again. LOL. I frequent high speeds in all of my cars, yet there is a time and place for everything.

Though the speedo only goes to 85 on my deville, IM sure I have been to atleast 100-110mph in it.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Regularly drove Deville's and Eldo's from the 70's and 80's into the triple digits heading to Reno or Las Vegas on the weekends. Took a rented Deville from LAX, actually our hotel in Hermosa, to Las Vegas in four hours. We were leading a triple digit parade of quite a motley group of cars, Caddy excepted of course. A young woman in a high-end Honda [there's an oxymoron], can't think of the brand, would occasionally work her way around us but then couldn't sustain the momentum without the DeVille acting as the wind break. These cars drive like they're on rails. Actually took a '67 convertible off road at about 80 MPH when a guy entered the highway from a side road without checking for oncoming traffic. He crossed both lanes driving me off into the ice plant and down the embankment. I drove it down and then drove it back up. Honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in the ride either way but the view up and down was somewhat objectionable.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Speaking of which, I've had the V8 AWD SRX up to 130 observed. Again, drives and rides like it's on rails. Superb vehicle.

Furthermore, had the '99 Vette Coupe as fast as she'd go on I29 between Council Bluffs and Sioux City. Coming from California and seeing an open highway on a Saturday afternoon with no on ramps, no off ramps, and no traffic was too good to waste. Made it there in an hour and 10 minutes of course slowing as I neared the outskirts of Sioux City. The speedometer indicated I was going 174 which was probably right around 170 actual. Had just read an article in one of the car rags that reported Corvette instrumentation was far more accurate than that found in Porsche's. A few weeks later I read another article in yet another car rag that described tire physics. If I'd read it earlier, probably would not have taken the '99 up to that speed, Z rated Goodyears or not. But, I've been at over 150 on the back of a KZ1000 or with the T tops off in a 69' Corvette so 170 in a C5, roof on, was like 70 in a Cadillac: Just tooling along.

The Z06 I now have has barely tasted triple digits. It's been to 120 and 130 a couple of times but just for short bursts. The road to my house used to be my race track but rezoning has led to residential building on what was agricultural acreage so take it easy now generally.

Last edited by iowavette; 12-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Oh, this is a long ago post here but I tend to agree that trucks today don't necessarily behave as did trucks of the past. I had an '03 Avalanche that could be thrown into a drift almost effortlessly. I accidentally exercised it's drift capabilities while making a left in the rain at an optimistic entrance speed. It was magic. I hope GM didn't lose too many of it's engineers during this last bit of government nonsense. Their products are unique.