Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

When do you change your oil on your Deville?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Default When do you change your oil on your Deville?

I've got a 2000 Cadillac Deville and on the dash it tells me that the oil life is at 75% and it also just told me that my oil level was low, I checked the oil and it was low so I added 2 quarts. So now is my oil life still at 75%?

How do you guys go about changing your oil? Do you wait till it tells you your engine oil life is 0%? Do you change it every so many miles or every so many months? And if you have to add oil inbetween oil changes, do you reset the oil life meter?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: When do you change your oil on your Deville?

Personally I never wait to see 0%, usually get it done once I get to 10% or so. If I add oil during the interval I do not reset the oil life monitor. If you do a search of previous posts there is plenty of information about oil useage in Northstar engines. It is a common occurance to have to add oil before your change interval is up.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

I change the oil on all of my cars when it tells me to. Low level of oil is something different though.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

420Deville......welcome to the Forum...... oil life: after a oil change you reset your oil monitor on the dic........the dic will give you a % of youroil life.
oil level low: all N*s need feed..... usually if like mine, after oil change, and a reset of the dic,this light will come on at or about 2000mi.....it meansto add a quart or so....... no biggy, do it.
i might be a little anyl about the oil in the sts, but i get it done between 2500, and 3500 miles..... i've seen the result of too many engines that have not had proper oil changes...... its not good.........
someowners manualshave a drivers condition chart, that under certain driving conditions it will allow up to 7000, or 7500 mi between changes......and i would fall into that condition..alot of highway driving............. none the less, i have it changed every 3000mi or so........
imo...never wait till you have 0% oil life.......
rickyd