Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something to buy from a vendor or a private owner?

Performance Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Default Performance Muffler

Throaty muscle carmuffler for a 98 catera dont want my car to sound like a ricer.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Performance Muffler

I like Edelbrock - they seem to understand American muscle better - http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...rs_intro.shtml

Name:  7new_full.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  42.1 KB

I have larger diameter stainless pipes that have been mandrel bent with a more direct flow through the SDT Edelbrock muffler added to a Dynatech hi flow cat and resonator.

This probably was the biggest hp gain in the vehicle at about 10% - plus another 5% for cleaning up the front intake (I just took out the snorkel and ported the air intake directly out in front of the fender well).

Good luck - this is what my allante sounds like (I am rather partial to those big '8' rumbles)...
http://www.mediamax.com/foxpaws/Hosted/car/allante3.mp3

I will look into your other mods - chips - maybe - good gain if you get a good one - but, those $30 ones aren't going to do a thing for you, usually you need to lay down about $200-$300 to get one that is tuned to your car (if you need to provide the numbers off your ECM for them to program your chip, you probably are headed in the right direction.)

Another big gain - get some rubber on the road - wider tire/wheel combinations will help - watch for clearance.

Bore and port - a lot of work - can get you some gain - Torque converters - if available - bigger gain -

NOS - biggest bang for the buck - although I am not sure how you are racing your Catera - stoplight - or SCCA?

Do you have the LW2 engine - you are hitting peak torque at about 4,000 - sort of high for street racing - also, the car is heavy (3,800 or more) I just don't know what you are looking for - they made the Catera (Opel) to be more of an autobahn cruiser - lots of power at the top - cruise all day at 100+, but getting that much weight moving - isn't easy.

Body mods - not really - look at a Saab 9-3 front spoiler - should tuck in there

Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Default RE: Performance Muffler

If you want a throaty muscle car sound, buy a muscle car, I.E; something with a V8. Best performance improvement is to attend a racing / performance drivingschool. That will make you faster than ANYTHING you can do to a Catera.

EED

Old 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM

I dont want something load or "ricer" just want a little better flow than stock. Adding CAI as well as tune or chip. Thanks