Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

global warning is a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: global warning is a problem?

when you were in H.S., what was the US population?
what is it now?
when Sam turns 40 what will the population be?

the Darwin principles are now being over ridden with
feelings of compassion and the genes that wouldnt
have been passed down are prolifirating.

add to that the Islamic practice of multiple wives
and 50+ children per family,

something has got to break.

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

My 2 cents on the envionment. After fishing in the everglades last week and the keys yesterday my kid and her kids (if she ever has any) don't have a lot to look forward to. Humans are pigs and destroy everything. The glades are a mess and the keys are being over built as I write this. Pissed off that one day I will be telling stories of what once was rather than showing where I used to play. Even dogs don't **** where they eat, humans do.

Sincerely,

Angry

Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

I have moved within the last few years to the detroit metro area, having grown up in a small town south west of pittsburgh, pa. I lived in the city (of pittsburgh) for 6 years around college, and then moved home to help around the house when my dad got sick. while i didnt like living in the middle of no where at my parents house (half hour to the nearest gas station), moving to the detroit area made me appreciate that area. when i lived there, i didnt think twice about leaving the keys to my bmw in the car, in the driveway. i would park the car near the road, maybe 20-25 yards from the front door, and leave the keys in the ignition...and not worry about it for a second. it was quiet at night and it smelled nice...as odd as that may sound. however, i never realized any of this until i moved to michigan. the roads here are crap, the area is filthy and smells bad, and crime is ridiculous. if i have to get out of my car to run into the house, i am my alarm. i live far enough north of detroit that we arent near the ghetto, as we live in a "nice area" of michigan, but the crime is drifting north from the city.

im far more concerned about the over-population and the filth of certain areas than i am the state of the atmosphere. That probably sounds awful, but the warnings that i hear about with global warning will not effect the US that heavily; it was only caused things like fresh water to cost more.

As for something from space slamming into the earth, there really much that i can do about that, so i dont worry about it.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Patrick,

what are we to do? that sex thing just doesnt quit.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I dont know. Im an american taxpayer...I dont have solutions...just complaints.

Send cropdusters packed full of airborne birth control mist over the highest growth regions, especially the low-income areas of the US...

Seriously though, the area in which I live is about 40% hardcore white trash, which is why I lock my doors. Sitting on my porch last summer, I heard the neighbor's (single mother, three high school age kids...the police are there at least once a week) daughter who is around 16, bragging about how she was pregnant, and her ****ty little friends were very excited for her. Some how, urban culture has made it trendy for kids, to have kids. Thisgirl was really pleased,although the police have come to their house for this girl standingin their front yard, screaming back and forth with some kid that i assume is her baby's daddy, so i cant imagine that its going to be a good life for that baby.

I dont know if there is something in the water, or what, but around here, its AMAZING if a girl makes it to 18 without getting knocked up, and it has turned into some sort of status symbol.

They need to start a program requiring birth control for girls until they turn 18...at which point they are adults, and are responsible for themselves. That way, you dont have kids rasing kids, with the (now) grandparents left to raise two kids who are 16 years apart. If the parent didnt do a good job of raising the first kid, there isnt much chance of the pair of them doing a good job of raising the new kid, and that is where the problematic overpopulation is coming from.

My views are egocentric...yes.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Global Warming Expedition to North Pole Cancelled Due to Cold and Frostbite
AP, March 12, 2007

" ..... explorers, Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen, on Saturday called off what was intended to be a 530-mile trek across the Arctic Ocean after Arnesen suffered frostbite in three of her toes, and extreme cold temperatures drained the batteries in some of their electronic equipment.
"Ann said losing toes and going forward at all costs was never part of the journey," said Ann Atwood, who helped organize the expedition.

Then there was the cold - quite a bit colder, Atwood said, then Bancroft and Arnesen had expected. One night they measured the temperature inside their tent at 58 degrees below zero, and outside temperatures were exceeding 100 below zero at times, Atwood said.

She said Bancroft and Arnesen were applying hot water bottles to Arnesen's foot every night, but had to wake up periodically because the bottles froze.

The explorers had planned to call in regular updates to school groups by satellite phone, and had planned online posts with photographic evidence of global warming. In contrast to Bancroft's 1986 trek across the Arctic with fellow Minnesota explorer Will Steger, this time she and Arnesen were prepared to don body suits and swim through areas where polar ice has melted.

"They were experiencing temperatures that weren't expected with global warming," Atwood said.
"But one of the things we see with global warming is unpredictability."
..."

Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming
Kate Ravilious
for National Geographic News
[/align] February 28, 2007[/align]

Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.
Earth is currently experiencing rapid warming, which the vast majority of climate scientists says is due to humans pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures. In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.
Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.
"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

Solar Cycles Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets.

Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories. "Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," Abdussamatov said.
By studying fluctuations in the warmth of the sun, Abdussamatov believes he can see a pattern that fits with the ups and downs in climate we see on Earth and Mars.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Waxman hearing
19 Mar 2007

Rep. Henry Waxman's Oversight Committee has another go
as the subject of "Allegations of Political Interference with the
Work of Government Climate Change Scientists." the following folks testify:

[ul][*]Philip Cooney, former chief of staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality;[*]James Hansen, director of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration;[*]George Deutsch, former public affairs officer for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration;[*]James Connaughton, chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality;[*] Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama in Huntsville.[/ul]

[/align]

Old 03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Interview with Dr. Roy Spencer
by James K. Glassman (September14,2005)

Dr. Roy Spencer is a principal research scientist for University of Alabama in Huntsville. In the past, he has served as Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, where he directed research into the development and application of satellite passive microwave remote sensing techniques for measuring global temperature, water vapor, and precipitation. He currently is the U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite.

James Glassman:
Do you reject the idea that Katrina was in any way manmade?

Dr. Roy Spencer:
Well, yes. I think that’s an irresponsible position to take. Certainly, the previous huge hurricanes that we had in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, didn’t have anything to do with mankind’s production of CO2 because we hadn’t produced very much by then, and I find it just irresponsible that anyone would claim that this hurricane was caused by global warming.

Glassman:
You know, I was looking at the National Hurricane Center’s website and they list the 10 most intense hurricanes by barometric pressure. I know you feel we should take those numbers with a grain of salt; but still, these are clearly very intense hurricanes in American history. Now we add Katrina to that. We’ve got 11. Five of these hurricanes occurred between 1900 and 1935 and only two of them have occurred since 1969. I’m just wondering whether there is any evidence that the intensity of storms is increasing in the United States.

Spencer:
Well, that brings up a good point – and that is that there is a known natural cycle in hurricane activity. We have been going through a lull in activity for about the past 20 or 30 years. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 was the early wake-up call that we were heading back into a period of greater hurricane frequency. Indeed, as you mentioned, the 1930’s, ‘40’s, ‘50’s – these were the peak periods that had some very intense hurricanes, but of course, there was very little development along the coasts back then. We’re not seeing anything that different from what occurred 40 or 50 or 60 years ago – which is we’re back now into a more active part of the natural hurricane cycle.

Glassman:
Do you think that there is personal or even governmental responsibility that was shirked here? I mean, this was a storm where the weather service did predict, almost within inches, where it was going to hit.

Spencer:
Yes, this storm was well predicted. The problem we have though is that people get used to getting warnings about hurricane hits. ................................

.............. more here, but center truncated ....................

Glassman:
And certainly the estimates of the economic cost of the Kyoto Protocol going into effect really could set back the efforts of developing countries to acquire the kind of wealth that would in some degree mitigate some of the terrible loss of life and property as a result of natural disasters that are just going to occur.

Spencer:
Yes, I agree completely. Little Band-Aid solutions like the Kyoto Protocol aren’t going to do enough to have any measurable impact on global warming in the future-- no matter what you believe global warming is going to be in the future. Maybe we should be looking more seriously at technological solutions to the problem. That indeed is what the current administration has been advocating most recently.

Glassman:
Thank you, Dr. Roy Spencer. Spencer:
Thank you, Jim.
First appeared in Tech Central Station.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

The Kyoto Protocol was negotiated in December of 1997 giving the Clinton-Gore administration more than three years to present the Protocol to the United States Senate for ratification. they did not. the US has not ratified the Kyoto Protocal as of this posting.

=================

The Kyoto Protocol is an agreement made under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Countries that ratify this protocol commit to reduce their emissions of carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases, or engage in emissions trading if they maintain or increase emissions of these gases.
The Kyoto Protocol now covers more than 160 countries globally and over 55% of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. At its heart, the Kyoto Protocol establishes the following principles:
[ul][*]Kyoto is underwritten by governments and is governed by global legislation enacted under the UN’s aegis[*]Governments are separated into two general categories: developed countries, referred to as Annex I countries (who have accepted GHG emission reduction obligations and must submit an annual greenhouse gas inventory); and developing countries, referred to as Non-Annex I countries (who have no GHG emission reduction obligations but may participate in the Clean Development Mechanism).[*]Any Annex I country that fails to meet its Kyoto obligation will be penalized by having to submit 1.3 emission allowances in a second commitment period for every ton of GHG emissions they exceed their cap in the first commitment period (i.e, 2008-2012).[*]By 2008-2012, Annex I countries have to reduce their GHG emissions by an average of 5% below their 1990 levels (for many countries, such as the EU member states, this corresponds to some 15% below their expected GHG emissions in 2008). While the average emissions reduction is 5%, national limitations range from 8% reductions for the European Union to a 10% emissions increase for Iceland. Reduction limitations expire in 2013.[*]Kyoto includes "flexible mechanisms" which allow Annex I economies to meet their GHG emission limitation by purchasing GHG emission reductions from elsewhere. These can be bought either from financial exchanges (such as the new EU Emissions Trading Scheme) or from projects which reduce emissions in non-Annex I economies under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), or in other Annex-1 countries under the JI.[*]Only CDM Executive Board-accredited Certified Emission Reductions (CER) can be bought and sold in this manner. Under the aegis of the UN, Kyoto established this Bonn-based Clean Development Mechanism Executive Board to assess and approve projects (“CDM Projects”) in Non-Annex I economies prior to awarding CERs. (A similar scheme called “Joint Implementation” or “JI” applies in transitional economies mainly covering the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe).[/ul]

Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

the politicians and the media keep feeding the masses their twisted truth
and the masses walk around in ignorance .. this thread is meant to be
an education w/o minimal commentary from the poster ...

so read on .. actual observations and published docs..

----------------

Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth"

"Gore discusses glacial and snowpack retreats atop Mt. Kilimanjaro, implying that human induced global warming is to blame. But Gore fails to mention that the snows of Kilimanjaro have been retreating for more than 100 years, largely due to declining atmospheric moisture, not global warming. Gore does not acknowledge the two major articles on the subject published in 2004 in the International Journal of Climatology and the Journal of Geophysical Research showing that modern glacier retreat on Kilimanjaro was initiated by a reduction in precipitation at the end of the nineteenth century

Gore's conclusions are based on showing near constant global temperatures for 1,000 years with a sharp increase in temperature from 1900 onward. The record Gore chooses in the film completely ignores the Medieval Warm Period of 1,000 years ago and Little Ice Age that started 500 years ago and ended just over 100 years ago. Evidence throughout the world shows these climate episodes existed, but on Gore's opinion, they become nothing more than insignificant fluctuations
(Gore even jokes at one point about the Medieval Warm period).

Gore claims that sea level rise could drown the Pacific islands, Florida, major cities the world over, and the 9/11 Memorial in New York City. No mention is made of the fact that sea level has been rising at a rate of 1.8 mm per year for the past 8,000 years"

Quick Reply: global warning is a problem?