Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Are Extended Warranties Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Default Are Extended Warranties Worth It?

I am about to settle the paper work & pick up my 2008 Toyota Rav4 (4cyl Ltd) in a couple of days. My question is this: Are extended warranties and car protection packages (rust proofing, paint protection etc.) etc. worth getting? From what I have read, most books say no, - but I wanted to ask all of you directly.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Are Extended Warranties Worth It?

ORIGINAL: kristi.amy

I am about to settle the paper work & pick up my 2008 Toyota Rav4 (4cyl Ltd) in a couple of days. My question is this: Are extended warranties and car protection packages (rust proofing, paint protection etc.) etc. worth getting? From what I have read, most books say no, - but I wanted to ask all of you directly.
the only thing that you might want to consider is as you call it "extended warranty"...... (service contract)........ if so, look at your past driving..... do you want time, or miles...... they will have, or offer different times, and diff. miles...ie 4/75,5/75--3/100,6/100 and so on........choose the one that fits your needs........ on the other hand, i would say if you are going to keep the vehicle for only, 3 to4 years, then pass on the warranty...........unless you are going to put BIG miles on it, in that time........... also...dont be a "lay-down"..... service contracts are like buying a car, you can "dicker" usually,States allow100% markup...... you want to see dealer cost, and not a "dummy sheet"..... then pay him 300,400 profit......
you may want to consider GAP.........only if you are financing at or around sticker price....... that will usually run, 300, to 450...... get it
hope it helps
rickyd

Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Extended warranties are a bet that your stuff is going to break sometime before it runs out or you get a new vehicle.Things I feel you should consider before getting warranty. Can you afford to pay 500+ for a repair and still your other payments, how long, how many miles, how loaded is vehicle, long can you be without car if it has to go to shop. With most cars today powertrain only warranties that don't cover seals and gaskets are a waste of money. Leaks are more common than failures, and leaks that cause failure can be called neglect. Most things that will send you to the shop power accessories, ses, abs, and hvac problems.So if you get a warranty you want them covered if vehicle is equiped with them.Manufactures extended warranties seem to have least amout of B.S. with them. Non factory warranties can have clausing to use non oem and used parts in repairs. May pay only part of the labor rate....60.00 vs 100.00 per hour charged leaving you with the left overs. I have seen case where a water pump was covered, but not coolant....more left overs. A good extended warranty can save you money while a bad one is a waste of money.Do your homework before buying one,also warranties can be bought afterwards even if it was a privite sale. so don't be pressured into them. The "rust and dust" warranties only help if you take advantage of them. File claims for stains or acid rain if its covered that why you got it. Undercoating is not really necessary any more, the quality of the metal and coating is much better than it was 20+ years ago.It does increase the sound deadening. Those in the "rustbelt" may disagree. If you choose not to get extended warranty, it's ok, I have never had one. But then again I'm a tech. One last note about warranties they are black and white there is no gray. When it lists what is or is not covered that what it means don't let salesman tell you any different.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM

It all depends on the vehicle you are purchasing. It is the consensus of opinion if you will be selling in five years "skip it."
However, there are cir***stances. I don't believe the purchase of a Rav4 is one. They've been very reliable in their history.
However if you are determined to purchase one, go on the internet and find prices from "other" Toyota dealers as Toyotas warranties are like "diamonds" and the mark-up of some dealers can be considerable.
I bought a Prius in 04 and when the dealership had a hard time figuring how to get it started I figured I better purchase a warranty. By questioning the Prius site on net I found I could save myself a thousand dollars under what my car dealer wanted and from another dealer only 85 miles away
In your cir***stances and with a Toyota I would say. "forget it" but with a little research remember they can be had for around $900.00
(Toyota uses the top of the line steel now and rustproffing is also not necessary and with "clear coat on all paint, ditto the rest of the car. With kids and ice cream cones the fabric protection spray might prove valuable

Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah! This warranty will pay for your vehicle's covered repairs after the manufacturer's warranty has expired. If you want more about extended warranty then I would like to prefer a site called http://www.extendedwarrantyshopper.com/ you can get all about extended warranty. Hope this will help you. All the best!