General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is OnStar Worth the Price ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Default Is OnStar Worth the Price ?

I recently purchased a new (used) 2004 Seville and have been debating about getting OnStar activated, along with the “Hands Free” calling option. I might be just doing this for the novelty of having another feature in the car, but after contacting OnStar, I’m told that I need to take the car into a dealer to get upgraded from analog to digital, which they’ll apparently do for $15 with a one year OnStar contract. I was planning on getting a one year “Save & Sound” package anyway, so this seemed like a pretty good deal. They also informed me that, because I was a new subscriber, I’d need to pay an additional $100 on top of the $199 Save & Sound cost.

Well … now we’re getting up in price for something that outside of the phone function, I don’t know how often I’d be using. I know they have some Vehicle analysis function, but ……

Does anyone subscribe to OnStar that can tell me if it’s really worth a buck a day ?

I’m wondering if I’d be better off looking for some Hands Free cell phone equipment and getting triple A ?

Thanks for any advice …. Tom

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Is OnStar Worth the Price ?

My opinionspend the money ona navagtion unit installed instead of verbal directions from an onstar operator. But I like having piece of mind that help is on the way if I am unconcious in a accident someplace. Options like unlocking your car when you lock the keys in it, is very cool. I have needed that more than once. Most new cell phones have speaker phone on them and you can get cheap hands free kits also.