Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Default New Member

Hi All,
Firstly Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to all of you, I found this forum through good old Google whilst on a desperate search for help after being caught out by your classic used car dealer - a guy called Jim Harper of Harper Motors in Decatur Illinois. the Pristine looking Cadillac Seville SLS with honey colour clean coolant and oil on inspection and a clean engine vomited its coolant up all over the driveway 4 miles from Harper Motors and so the nightmare began - many wierd happenings and today 2 months later and $2000 less - I am pulling this motor from hell out and replacing it, my skin is thickened by all the promises and all the bull I have been fed by so many in the vain attempts to screw me further, in 2009 I will drive my properly repaired Lemon that I will have turned into a peach by sheer willpower and determination.(ex South African)

I am however glad I found all of you - the many who also have endured this forced learning curve by a cold greedy dealership and manufacturer who make it difficult for the enthusiast to fix his car - Dealer quote to transplant my engine was $3900.00 - gofigure! - i will do it myself.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default aluminum engine coolant failures ?

ORIGINAL: Patrick_White

Hi All,
Firstly Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to all of you, I found this forum through good old Google whilst on a desperate search for help after being caught out by your classic used car dealer - a guy called Jim Harper of Harper Motors in Decatur Illinois. the Pristine looking Cadillac Seville SLS with honey colour clean coolant and oil on inspection and a clean engine vomited its coolant up all over the driveway 4 miles from Harper Motors and so the nightmare began - many wierd happenings and today 2 months later and $2000 less - I am pulling this motor from hell out and replacing it, my skin is thickened by all the promises and all the bull I have been fed by so many in the vain attempts to screw me further, in 2009 I will drive my properly repaired Lemon that I will have turned into a peach by sheer willpower and determination.(ex South African)

I am however glad I found all of you - the many who also have endured this forced learning curve by a cold greedy dealership and manufacturer who make it difficult for the enthusiast to fix his car - Dealer quote to transplant my engine was $3900.00 - gofigure! - i will do it myself.
Sorry to hear that your start with a Cadillac has been tainted by a dishonest deal.
what year is the car?
what was the diagnosis? headgaskets? cracked block?

welcome to our site
maybe we can improve the Cadillac experience ...

I am unsure what the problem was, but .. I will take the opportunity to point out an ongoing issue ...

advice to all:

when buying a used car with an aluminum engine, do a COMPRESSION TEST,
this advice applies to GM, Cadillac, Ford, Honda, Toyota, MB, Porc, Chrysler, etc., etc .. no car with aluminum engines are exempt from the advice.

the failures of seals due to the coolant issues are ever increasing, catastrophic, and expensive to fix.

I am seeing these coolant related trends on many sites .. and yet .. few are doing anything about it.
Please, read the FAQ on this site regarding the coolant and headgaskets .. take preventive action.
YES, it is preventable.