Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

I bought my first two Caddys this month.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Default I bought my first two Caddys this month.

I was in the market for a car for my wife, drove a Bonneville SE, it was okay but the guy wouldn't budge on the price. On the way home we drove by this auto broker and saw a '99 STS for $4995. Hmm. We drove it, no comparison to the Bonneville. Pretty nice, not perfect but hey, I bought it for $4500. 116K, drove it for a couple of weeks and the water pump tensioner pulley disintegrated. Over $100 for the part, but very easy to fix. Oh, and the Caddy dealer wanted $45 for a belt. I had already checked at NAPA and they were under $10, so I confirmed thatthe Caddy parts guywas pricing a water pump belt, not the serpentine belt, he said yes (still don't think he knew the difference) and I told him he could keep it.

In the process of searching for a car for my wife, I ran across a '94 SLS a guy wanted $1500 for with a bad rack & pinion. I gave him $1100 and drove it home with some effort.

I figuredreplacing a rackwas no big deal, checked some prices, found a reman on ebay for $78 plus shipping, core & return label. Installing it was a pain. Far worse than the Grand Am I had done years earlier, but it's done now and running great. I found a set of STS wheels on craigslist for $200 and replaced those grandpa alloys it came with. Mufflers were gone too, so Iwelded on a set of Cherry Bomb turbos, $20/ea. at Autozone. It's a little rumbly, but I think I'm okay with it. It's looking fairly nice, except for the clearcoat coming off the hood. I'll deal with that later.

I've been impressed with the STS since it was introduced, but never had the chance to get one until now. I'd rather mine was an STS, but who can argue with $1100? So now we've got his 'n hers Caddys. Never thought that would happen.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: I bought my first two Caddys this month.

Not a bad way to aquire a couple of wheels. Sweat equity!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Welcome to the Cadillac Froum!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Nice Full Size Jeep in the background!

Ken, are you following me?

Jason

Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Welcome !
You've superb cars