Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

dts 00 sharp turn car drags to stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Default dts 00 sharp turn car drags to stop

Hi i just bought a 00 dts, from a desperate guy. The car in general look good and i new that i had to take care of problems. I been solving one by one. Fuel pump, new starter,new battery. By the way to all of you guys that own dts with shifter at center console,Put attention to this true story," My wife was driving in a residential area near her gym,sudenly the car stoled due to fuel pump failure,subsequentaly the power stering became hard(normal), she made a sharp turn into a parking lot using her arm strength at aproximately 20 mph, the main steering shaft got broken at the buttom neck leaving her with no steering.the steering wheel turning free.thanks God she was at slow speed and was able to stop the car.Imagine the same situation at 70 mph in a Hway. I called a tow car and i took the car to my mechanic.Just to mount the car in the flat bed was an ordeal.The result a $400.00 towing bill due to the complications to put in and out the car.My mechanic replaced the fuel pump and then teared down the steering column to find out where was the damage.I culdnt believe it when I saw it, the column shaft was ripped at the junction where it connect with the steering system at the fire wall,The coumn is made out of aluminun, the wall of the shaft is not even a 1/8 inch thick plus a passing pin secure the joint with the system making the tube much wicker. I cant believe that a 3500 plus pound car rely a such a weak part.I call inmediately to Cadillac division to report this. beacause it can happens to anyone.They toll me that to make a report I have to send the car to the nearest Cadillac Dealer, so they can send an expert to view the claimn and decide if it was a factory defect.All the expenses I supposed to pay to get my car there($400.00 towing again plus $250.00 labor for tear down the S/column to my mechanic)with no warranty that the claim will go on my favor. At that point I called quit with GM and I felt very dissapointed. I end up fixing the car and I hope nobody had to go trough this ordeal specially when is a big chance that something real bad can happens at a H/way speed.I believe that that Cadillac Division should put more attention to this matter specially when is a potential risk of someone getting hurt or worst. I due this report in good faith to aware other cadillac DTS owners of this potential hazard" I loved the car I think is beatiful. And I will continuosly taking care of other problems due to it age. Now I am having (sometime) problems when I turn sharply at low speed the car drags almost to stop,What It can be I dont know. If somebody had this experience before let me know.Excuse my english but spanish is my forte.Nothing runs nicer than a Cadillac.Thanks Alvaro