Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

96 DEVILLE BEEN THERE DONE THAT........

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Default 96 DEVILLE BEEN THERE DONE THAT........

96 deville owner for last 8 years. Adriatic Blue, Carriage top, Vogue wheels. Purchased car with low 20K from Crest Cady in Syracuse, N.Y. and got extended warranty (luckily). Have pretty much been a GM man and do-it-yourselfer most of my life. Restores 73-80 Kawasaki 650-1000's (always looking to buy, sell, trade in northeast). Bought the GM manuals that go to the car and have been meticulous with the maintenance ever since owning it. Did a Carfax prior to purchase that showed no problems only to find out 3 years later it had been in two wrecks that State Farm did not publish right away. Dealer sales guy swore it was from a local owner and a trade in; only to be handed a Michigan title upon leaving. Found out pretty early that cady dealerships do not want you to own your car up to the 100K that it is easily supposed to go with no maintenance..... They are definitely bothered by 'knowledgeable owners' who ask questions. I got lucky once and had a service lady who actually took me out into the shop and printed a list of service bulletins (4 pages long) on stuff; some of which are borderline recall issues. Immediately took the car to N. Virginia where I lived at the time and dealt with two of the biggest dealerships on the east coast with such issues as 'tranny noise when engaging overdrive', 'intermitant stalling', 'crappy stock brake rotors', 'keyless entry issues'. Had more damage done to my car while in for service than the actual repairs. Car now has 190K and is parked for the usual head gasket issue as well as completely dead suspension. I love my Deville and want to keep driving it; but the cost of repairs as well as gas prices these days have me thinking otherwise. Cady is capable of building quality products; but should put more effort into debugging them prior to release. They also should rethink the habit of trying to build a car for every possible segment of their demographic. If they put more effort into helping their older loyal customers instead of just taking the quick money on the younger crowd; they would not be losing market share by leaps and bounds............... Actually, that goes for the whole GM family.