General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is WOT advised for non N* engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Is WOT advised for non N* engines?

having had opened a few non-N* engines driven by some "little'o lady from Pasadena", i seen
clean, i seen sludge, i seen coke build up. often the ones with deposits were blamed on poor quality
oil or cheap gasoline - my teacher said it was mostly "driving style" or "lack of maintenance".

i been running the equivalent of the WOT long before i heard the term. my "drives Vettes only" auto-shop
teacher strongly believed in "blowing out" the coke off the old cast iron engines. i often did ask some of
what you have asked and the answer was "dont over-rev" and "dont pop the clutch at 6,000 rpm" and
she will be fine.

in my life time ( a short one, Gary) i have blown one transmission (towing) cuz of unk overheating, not WOT
and never have blown an engine including the old days (not that old, Gary) of dragsters at the track which
included engines and cars from GM, Chrysler, Ford and Honda.

our "ID withheld by request" engineer has spent his entire life working the GM drivetrain dept.
he is heavily involved in the design of the N* as well as other engines before that - he often tours
the facilities of the company that receives the "dealer returns", tears them open and evaluates cause.
Should you doubt the existance (not that you have) of the gent, and you really wanted to find out who
the gent is, there are enough clues in this site to find him right down to his office phone.

however, at the end of the day, each of us own our cars and we make the final decission as to how we
drive them and take care of them. if your car's shift point is 6,000 rpm and you are doing the total
WOT back down to the lower speed, i say you are doing right. would i do that every week? WHY?
i do it when it feels its right to do, and that is not every week. But my cars do get heavy footed driving
often with rev's near the redlines and some of them are approaching 200,000 miles, engines never opened.

IF you arent sure what the shift point is, it is easy enough to find out - take her out on a long straight
road and put the pedal down and watch the RPM's, or better yet, have someone watch and note
the rpms vs speed. observe the speed limits ! ! !