General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pours into cabin from under center of Dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Default water pours into cabin from under center of Dash

Hi all, I have acquired a 1993 Cadillac Deville that is in good shape. The A/C seems to pour water into the cabin from under the dash in the center of the car. Landing on either the driver's right foot, or the Passengers. left foot, depending on the turn of the car. about 2-8 cups of water pour out during a turn, soaking the floor, and startling me or my passenger. It only seems to pour out during a sharp turn up hill.

I have noted water vapor inside the cab when I get in, and it smells musty. I am hoping I catch the problem before the mold sets in. Been about a week or so that I noticed this happening. and it is happening much more frequently. I live in the southern US, and a swamp area, where there is brutal heat & high humidity, so No A/C is intolerable. Also, headliner is starting to sag out, and can see places where the glue has undone due to an obvious similar problem in the past has occurred with this car. My first goal is to stop the water entry into the cabin, then redo the interior at my leisure.

My first inclination is the water drain is clogged with something, second, I suspect a leak around the evaporator coil into the A/C ventilation system. Third, (I hope this is not it), is a water leak from engine coolant system into the A/C ventilation.

I hope to fix this on my own, and avoid charges at a shop. I looked thru the forums and did not spot this as a common issue, wondering if anyone else has similar troubles, and fixes for it. Thank you for reading.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 PM

The evaporator case drain is probably clogged, blow it out with some compressed air. If this is it a bunch should rush out when you unclog it.