Drugs in your water supply !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default Drugs in your water supply !

probably no more than most routinely take willingly, but then again .. now without knowing.
bottled water is not exempt.
We are lucky, living in a city with a deep water well supply that does test for this and provides an
annual report of the quality of our water.

===========

by Shane Snyder

Snyder, a R&D project manager at the Nevada Water Authority, states that a greater emphasis should be put on studying the effects of drugs in water.
"I think it's a shame that so much money is going into monitoring to figure out if these things are out there, and so little is being spent on human health," said Snyder.
"They need to just accept that these things are everywhere — every chemical and pharmaceutical could be there. It's time for the EPA to step up to the plate and make a statement about the need to study effects, both human and environmental."

How do the drugs get into the water?
"People take pills. Their bodies absorb some of the medication, but the rest of it passes through and is flushed down the toilet. The wastewater is treated before it is discharged into reservoirs, rivers or lakes. Then, some of the water is cleansed again at drinking water treatment plants and piped to consumers. But treatments do not remove all drug residue.
Drugs have been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas"

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Drugs in your water supply !

Where the heck did this guy come from? I have never heard and it makes little since that "treated" sewage water is released anywhere near a public water supply. I believe every coastal city releases it's "treated "sewage" several miles offshore with no harm to the envireament. And landlocked areas usually pass their treated water off to any that are completely clear of water zones. Our town for instance has purchased hundreds of acres of land over the watershed.
And I believe all public water suppliers tests it's water many more times than annually for purity. And I believe if you will check where all bottled water comes from you will find it's source is from wells and most used for public water systems.
When you hear that the water in New York city taps is as pure as most bottled water you will have too laugh at this guys theories.
Believe it or not, most water departments do use common sense in their operation.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM

x2. there are extensive tests done on any freshwater and i have never heard that before

Old 03-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

This is not NEW news, its old hat for many communities, there is plenty
of evidence, but not well known.

One more thing. The Fed regulations for drinking water do NOT apply to bottled water.
Isnt that wonderful news?

The leaders in use of reclaimed water in the U.S. are Florida and California,[6] with Irvine Ranch Water District as one of the leading developers. They were the first district to approve the use reclaimed water for in-building piping and use in flushing toilets. As Australia continues to battle the 7-10 year drought, nationwide, reclaimed effluent is becoming a popular option. Already three major and capital cities in Australia, have committed to adding reclaimed effluent to their dwindling dams, including Adelaide, Brisbane and indirectly Sydney. Brisbane has been seen as a leader in this trend, and other cities and towns will review the 'Western Corridor Recycled Water Project' once completed. Already Goulbourn, Canberra, Newcastle, and Regional Victoria, Australia are also considering building a reclaimed effluent process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclaimed_water

The Problem More than 2.4 million people currently live in the rapidly growing northern Tampa Bay region. The Tampa Bay Regional Reclaimed Water and Downstream Augmentation Project can reduce demand for drinking water and increase surface water availability while improving the environment of wetland and river systems. Our region’s fast-growing population is expected to reach nearly 2.7 million over the next 10 years. While our present water supply infrastructure can adequately serve the area’s population near term, new environmentally sustainable water supplies must be developed by 2012 to protect our region’s economic vitality and treasured natural resources. The Public Interest This project ensures the protection of drinking water and supports development of a multi-dimensional design that will be the premiere model for the beneficial use of reclaimed water (an alternative water supply) for the region. In addition to restoration of wetland systems, a significant environmental benefit would be achieved through innovative reduction of the annual nutrient loading (primarily nitrogen) in Tampa Bay. The Solution This project, proposed as a regional partnership of the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County, Pasco County, Tampa Bay Water (a regional wholesale water supplier) and the Southwest Florida Water Management District, would construct a regional reclaimed water system that will return highly treated water to the area of its origin as part of a comprehensive watershed management approach. It will utilize reclaimed water produced by Tampa’s main wastewater treatment plant supplemented by reclaimed water from other plants in the region.

Date: March 11, 1998
Contacts: Ellen Bailey Pippenger, Media Relations Associate
Dumi Ndlovu, Media Relations Assistant
(202) 334-2138; e-mail <news@nas.edu>

[EMBARGOED: NOT FOR PUBLIC RELEASE BEFORE 5 P.M. EST WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11]

Publication Announcement

Reclaimed Waste Water Can Augment Municipal Drinking-Water Supplies
But Uncertainties Must Be Addressed

The demand for drinking water in cities and the lack of new water sources have spurred water conservation and recycling measures over the last 30 years. Need, coupled with advances in water treatment technology, is motivating a small but growing number of cities to use reclaimed waste water to supplement drinking-water supplies. But, important questions remain regarding the level of treatment, monitoring, and testing needed to ensure public safety.

In its new report, Issues in Potable Water Reuse, a National Research Council committee concluded that reclaimed waste water can be used to supplement drinking-water sources, but only as a last resort and after a thorough health and safety evaluation. Municipalities first must fully assess health impacts from likely contaminants and develop comprehensive systems for monitoring, testing, and treatment. Other water sources and conservation measures also should be tried to the extent practical, before turning to reclaimed waste water.

Because regulations for safe drinking water were not developed with reclaimed water in mind, they may not be the best standard for testing its quality, the committee said. Reclaimed water may contain sources of contamination that cannot be determined through current testing or treatment processes.

When considering reclaimed waste water for public water supplies, the report distinguishes between direct and indirect use. Adding highly treated waste water directly into a water supply without storing it first in a reservoir is not a viable option. Indirect use is viable, however, and that approach was examined by the committee. Indirect use augments the drinking-water supply by adding reclaimed treated water first to a lake, reservoir, or underground aquifer. The mixture of natural and reclaimed water is then subjected to normal water treatment before it is distributed as drinking water for the community. Since the 1960s, California's Los Angeles County has operated an indirect-use system in which waste water, mixed with storm water and river waters, supplies about 16 percent of total flow into ground-water basins. This mixture then is used as a source for drinking-water supplies.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/on...?RecordID=6022

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/0CAFC81359394D5884812F37AD5D0ED3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/6CA9E802F2B9428BB7A85E1976F74EDF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/B2362E041E0F402889A91F5FD1A59968.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM

I've heard about the Florida water problem for years and it stands to reason that a reclaimed separate water system will have to be used but this will result in separate pipes installed for systemsrequired for"unpotable water." I ran into this the first time in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands in the fifties when I found the bathrooms in the best resorts and Hotels had separate water supplies in all the bathrooms where salt water was used
Florida has major problems because of the shallow water table but most states fortunately do not. Of course "piped water" can be brought from "anywhere" and I expect we will soon see this being done. Would make a darn good "WPA" type project. This year the problem in Georgia will be coming to a head. Cities like Atlanta have been getting their water from Tennessee which now is threatening to "turn off."
I've often wondered when I see news videos of all the flooding wates in the midwest yearly why national pipelines and pumping stations are not being considered for the "dry" areas of the country and those are having massive population growths. Just makes sense. We really have no water shortage, it's just located where it is not needed. (Course it will have to be a Democratic administration to come up with a program like this, the republicans would never consider funding it.)
Except for Arizona and Nevada, the major "growing" states all have major "salt water" shorelines and I find it hard to believe that these states have not started using salt water purifying systems to preserve their natural supplies of fresh water. The U.S. nucleaar aircraft carriers make hundreds of thousands of freshwater with thier plants alone. After the "tsunami" in Indoneisia several years ago one of our carriers was supplying fresh water to several cities, and it was stated that in an emergency it could supply well over a third of the water needed to sustain a city such as los Angeles.
As far as bottled water, you can get the source history from info supplied from the bottler so if you can read that should be no problem.
When Jack Paar started the industry in the US with "Poland Springs" it was done because of the advertised source and no testing was necessary. Today if you check you will find that most bottled water comes from some towns water supply and although there are no federal standards I've never heard of a town in the U.S. where the water is not constantly tested.
Europe, I'm not all that sure of. Nor the rest of the world for that matter. I do know that most of the touring golf pros that now travel "worldwide" always make sure to have a lot of U.S. bottled water with them.
V. J. Singh stated he always endeavors to eat and drink "clean" but confesses to messing up while in India a week ago and spent four days earlier this week never out of sight of a bathroom. (he lost 18 pounds in four days because of a stomuch virus.)