General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Default Valve Cover Gaskets

Pulled the EGR valve off, one bolt almost broke on me so I tried some wd40 and tightened it then loosened it, and that still didn't work so PBR'd it and it came smooth. This is what it looks like, and I pushed the spring loaded valve and it still moves so I'm assuming it is ok. I would shoot some brake cleaner or carb cleaner in it if I get the forum ok, I will not shoot it in the hole just on the spring-hole, but there is some kind of hard plastic ring, in the spring hole, i don't want to effect:

Name:  valvecover003.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  58.3 KB

--sry just noticed the egr picture is blurry, it looked better on photobucket

Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 PM

here is the valve cover and pieces of gasket, the far left lower bolt was very loose on removal:

Name:  valvecover009.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  61.2 KB

and here is the gunk:

Name:  valvecover010.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  144.6 KB

Name:  valvecover011.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  139.5 KB

can I just start blasting this with brake cleaner? CRC Brake Parts Cleaner. And slowroll I know you said spray brake cleaner down the push rods, but I didn't imagine that I would run into this much sludge. I want to just blast it all.

Last edited by WolfmansEldorado; 03-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM

ok well cleaned up around the push rods and blasted brake cleaner down the rods. They were sick with sludge and I ended up using a thin knife to get around the rods to break up the gunk, then blasted and repeated a dozen times. I filled a towel with a lot of sludge as I had placed an old towel under the cover area, over the spark plugs and shoveled junk.

Here's the after:

Name:  v2002.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  56.4 KB

not crystal but way better. I can tell the brake cleaner doesn't have the breaking power carb cleaner does, but sacrifice for less residue (if I'm learning anything).

Here's the cover:

Name:  v2003.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  74.8 KB

now for the gasket and then I will assemble then do the other side.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

ok .. i'll bite .. PBR ?

next time use "penetrating oil" instead of wd-40.
suggest a oil change when all is done.

how many miles on the engine?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM

pb blaster, penetrating magnetic lubricant.

97k on odometer, was told that is actual mileage. Have original sales invoice for july 10 '79 and believe original owner took good care of the car then left it to his grandson who sold it to me after he ran about everything down.

note, car is not leaking now from valve covers and is running very well, tapping sound is considerably less and seems to be gradually getting better. Feels very good to have the carbon build up (if that's what that was) cleaned out. Someone suggested that may be due to cheap oil, and recommended running synthetic oil. I was worried that the change to synthetic on such an old vehicle would cause gasket leaks, or seal problems. But I don't know how many more gaskets there are on this engine, and maybe the only other one that would be effected by the change in oil would be the oil pan gasket.

Could use some advice on changing to synthetic oil, and/or perhaps an additive that would clean out the top end more thoroughly, as I was able to loosen and blast most of the carbon around the push rods but it would be good to run some kind of cleaner that focuses on above the combustion chamber.

Also was considering doing an engine flush, if anyone has any success with that stuff, saw Pyroil has a product called "engine flush" well named, put it in and run the car for 5 minutes before oil and filter change. And then maybe replace the oil pan gasket while doing this and add synthetic oil. idk I plan on using this car as my daily.

--o and just a note, if you haven't seen the Godfather movies after you bought your cadillac you should. I saw it years ago and didn't notice the cars, I am now going to paint this black, someday.

Last edited by WolfmansEldorado; 03-23-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

imo..... that engine looks to be more than a 97k mi engine......
synthetic oil..... imo not a big believer in that stuff... check the FAQ section about syn oil..................... keep up the good work Wolf
rickyd

Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM

thanks, rickyd.

If anyone wants to know how to upload pics here's some info, hope it makes sense I just jammed it all together.

no problem. I just take the picture with my digital camera, then use my usb cord and download the picture to my laptop.

Then I have a photobucket account. It is a site that lets you import pictures from your computer to the web. Just go to photobucket.com and start an account, it's free. After you sign up for photobucket you can upload pictures to it.

Then after that just copy an "img" file from photobucket, I usually open my browser a second time, start a thread or reply then copy the image from photobucket and paste the "img" information to this page. After you start photobucket you will see options under the picture you just uploaded, html, img and 2 others, for this site use img, just right click on img then select copy then paste to this site. It takes some practice and let me know if you cannot figure it out.

If I need to mess with the picture I open it in my adobe photoshop program then save then upload it to photobucket.

rickyd I think your personal message option is turned off, I went to respond to your pm and it wouldn't allow it.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

sorry wolf..... i'll fix that now

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

Carbon build up was not abnormal since it centered near EGR. It may have been a little long between oil changes at one time or another. The cleaner was to spray thru the the push rods, to be sure rocker arms got oil. I am not into engine flushing other than dealing with water/oil mix it can cause problems on older or high mileage engines. If your are going to replace oil pan gasket running motorflush just prior to removing oil pan should be ok

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfmansEldorado

Also was considering doing an engine flush, if anyone has any success with that stuff, saw Pyroil has a product called "engine flush" well named, put it in and run the car for 5 minutes before oil and filter change. And then maybe replace the oil pan gasket while doing this and add synthetic oil. idk I plan on using this car as my daily.

Again, I say change the oil ...
then change it again in a couple thousand miles.

that will probably do wonders as the new oil will likely behave like a cleaner itself - oil does have detergent. also .. i try to change oil when its hot .. before any solids settle.

also, check this out
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5654

Last edited by Stealth; 03-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gaskets