General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Default strange coolant leak

finally got my 91 caddy deville, 4.9 V8 back on the road. had to get a new water pump about a week ago. everything was fine for three days and then i started getting a puddle of antifreeze about a foot across for about two or three days. let it sit one night, drove it the next day, no leak, not a drip. i've been fine for the past three days now besides a drip here and there. the drip is more the the inside of the engine. not under the water pump, but more to the driver side almost in the middle of the engine. at least that's where the puddles on the ground suggest. i keep antifreeze at correct level and never overheated. anybody got anything?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

assuming the engine is clean, you should be able to follow the coolant residue to its source with a flashlight. most likely a hose connection .. specifically check the heater hoses. coolant will drip and travel on surfaces until it reaches a low point and fall from there. the oil pan being the lowest point sees the end of coolant traveling the most.

being a '91, I bet it has some original hoses going on 19 years old. most change out the radiator hoses and stop there. the car will have a few more feet of aging hoses.

Originally Posted by stixboy
finally got my 91 caddy deville, 4.9 V8 back on the road. had to get a new water pump about a week ago. everything was fine for three days and then i started getting a puddle of antifreeze about a foot across for about two or three days. let it sit one night, drove it the next day, no leak, not a drip. i've been fine for the past three days now besides a drip here and there. the drip is more the the inside of the engine. not under the water pump, but more to the driver side almost in the middle of the engine. at least that's where the puddles on the ground suggest. i keep antifreeze at correct level and never overheated. anybody got anything?

Last edited by stomper; 08-26-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM

yeah you're completely right. i bought the car about five years ago. never had a problem first three years. let it sit in the garage last two years. but i'll check some hoses and change them if necessary. well i might just change them for the hell of it. but what about this coolant pellet or additive jumbo i've been hearing about? i'm a little scared to put this stuff in my girl, what would you recommend?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stixboy
yeah you're completely right. i bought the car about five years ago. never had a problem first three years. let it sit in the garage last two years. but i'll check some hoses and change them if necessary. well i might just change them for the hell of it. but what about this coolant pellet or additive jumbo i've been hearing about? i'm a little scared to put this stuff in my girl, what would you recommend?
how old is the coolant? i be chaning the coolant yesterday before the headgaskets go.

add the pellets, the car had them out of the factory and they do serve a seal the system function.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM

well the coolant is brand new, since i changed the water pump only a little over a week ago. plus i seem to be getting good circulation when i look down into the radiator with the car running. the new pump does seem to make a little of a strange noise, but nothing i'm too concerned about, plus it's not leaking thru the weep hole. so this leak is still beating me out. tomorrow i'll go back over the hoses with a flashlight and fill you guys in.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM

I am curious to know the reason please..

Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 PM

well i got under there today but it wasn't leaking. so i couldn't even attempt to trace it with a flashlight. just have to wait until it starts leaking again, hopefully it doesn't. sorry for the delay.