General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speakers 1990 Eldorado, 3 of 4 don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Angry Speakers 1990 Eldorado, 3 of 4 don't work

Hello Fellow Cadillac Enthusiasts,

I have a 1990 Eldorado with the Bose premium radio/CD player. The ONLY speaker that works is the passenger side rear speaker. Both front and the driver's side rear are not working. Of course, this'll never do.

I have reason to believe that this car sat inside for a while before I bought it. I removed the air cleaner and found a bunch of debris in the air intake which included a fair amount of acorn shells. It appears that Mickey's pals had wintered there at least once.

I know that mice will eat the insulation off wires and use it to line their nests. I don't know what Cadillac speaker wire looks like. I must suppose that those nasty rodentia may be responsible for my ride's un-fidelity.

Question 1: should I trace down and fix the old, chewed wires? Or should I simply look at the radio, find where the front and left rear speakers are connected and then run a good grade of speaker wire from the radio to the dead speakers?

Question 2: The front speakers are located low in the doors. There is a molded cover which apparently houses or covers the speakers. I cannot find any screws that attach this cover to the doors. I therefore assume that the covers have some kind of special nail-like fasteners around the cover perimeter that articulate into specially provided holes.

Is there a special tool or technique that's used to release these fasteners allowing access to the speakers? Or does one take a small pry bar and carefully work around and around the cover's perimeter easing the fasteners out gradually? I've damaged door panels in other cars doing this kind of work, probably due more to a youngster's impatience than inexperience.

Are these fasteners made to break and be replaced on re-installation? Or should they come out cleanly if I take my time?

Question 3: If I decide to re-wire rather than fix the the old wires, I'd still like to wire the speakers using the same pathway. Where can I find a reliable, easy to follow diagram that shows the path taken by the original wiring?

Thanks for your time and helpful advice.

Robb
Grand Rapids, Michigan