General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Seville STS Front Passenger Door/Window don't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Default 90 Seville STS Front Passenger Door/Window don't work

Hopefully this is the right spot for this. I recently bought a 1990 Seville STS, and I'm having a problem with the front passenger door and window. The door just simply doesn't open from the inside or outside, there is no resistance in the button on the outside so it's almost like the door thinks its locked, but its not. Also, the window in the same door was off the track or something, when I tried to roll it down it would fall crooked inside the door. Today my girlfriend, not knowing any better, tried to roll the window down and it fell completely inside the door. Not good. Does anyone know how I can get the door open, is there a way to do it even if the door handles don't work, like from inside the panel or something. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out if I can get the door open to work on it. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 90 Seville STS Front Passenger Door/Window don't work

am i to assume the the door release on the driver side is not working either?
that would be the 1st place i look to see if i can direct jump power across to active the locks on the other door.

you did check the fuses, right? did you check that the switch on the passenger door has power to it?

other than that, i'm speaking out of ignorance here, but i dont see how you are going to open the door
if you have power and it still wont open. i'm wondering if there is s theft deterent module at work here.

remove the inside panel is the last thing i look at.
jeezz, this is a though one to get stuck with specially if it rains.

best i can do. maybe someone else can help out.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 AM

The door doesn't open from either side, I want to remove the panel to look inside but I can only get it so far off the door since the door is shut. I don't have much vision or room to get my hands in there like that. That's why I was asking if there was some kind of trick to reaching in there and pulling something to open the door so I can get a better angle on it.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

unless your car is a 50's model (is not) all doors locks must have a linkage to the
manual door handle as well as to the solenoid that power locks use.

can you get to the inside door handle inside the door panel? if you can, you may be
able to find the linkage and pull on it. shouldnt be so hard to find if you can reach in.
there are no other linkages there that i know, but that window falling down may block
access. you got to pull it back up and secure it. got to.

i know, easier said than done, but i been there when nothing else mattered except getting
the window up and there is always a way. always. of course, i never had to deal with a
door that wont open. that is the catch here. if nothing else, you may be looking at taking out
the seat so you can get in there.

remember, i know NOTHING about this problem with a door that wont open and a window
that fell off the track and then got rolled down inside and jammed.
so take my advice with a grain of salt .. or two.

the other thing you can do is call a locksmith to open the door, they got them long shims and
handbooks that tells them where to push and pull. got AAA ? if you do, its covered!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 AM

Awesome advice, thanks, I'll check all that out tomorrow. If I have to pay a locksmith then so be it, probably waycheaper than taking it to GM. getting the window up will probably be interesting but I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

if you dont have AAA, this may be a time to get it.

the cost of the locksmith may warrant the cost oft he AAA.
no, i dont work for AAA, but i do use their serives (gasp ...) often enough.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I got a 1993 deville 4.9 with 91.000 miles, EVERY THINGs work on it , but yesterday coming from the doc, i notice the , Fuel Data Center and the Electronic Climate Control, quit working, which leave me with no gas gauge, and no heat or a/c, it is a 0ne owner car, show room cond, now i did check every fuse on the car all check good, done nothing else to it,, thank you in advance, Ed