General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New person to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Default New person to this forum

I am Mark Gilmore 16 and just got my first car. 2000 Cadillac STS with 117,000 miles and fully loaded. Black paint. I purchased the car from someone really cheap for $1,000 because it was running rough and smoking slightly. Turned out to be a $240 coil pack with 2 dead coils. After we replaced that the car runs like a new car. Smoth, quiete, powerful, starts right up.

The problems with the car
1. From a stop the left front has a tick/thud when steping back on the accelerator. Seems like from the left front something like a strut or bushing?

2. When turning at all to the left It has a very faint squeel like almost a low brake pad sound that goes away as soon as I turn to the left. Something like a LF Wheel bearing?

I am going to get the car in my garage and up to take the tires off and check the brakes they had rust on them for sitting for a few months but have smothed out very well with no seeable groves through the rim nice flat polished surface. The brake does vibrate when stopping but the car does not pull to once side or another. Thank you guys in advance for all of the help really looking forward to getting this car nice and getting my license in a month.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

heyy mark, welcome to the forum... always great to have new members!! youll find lots of great info 'bout yr ride here. look around have a few laughs with members and get needed info. i think yr issues 1 and 2 are sounding like you have a handle on them.... seems yr on the right track. do you have any vibrations at higher speeds? bearings i have found are sometimes tuff to detect on the sts's suspension. keep us posted. again welcome!!
rickyd

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks I will be around the board. I have not had the car out on a highway yet just back and forth around town to my dads and stuff no vibrations up to 55 mph. just vibrates when you step on the brake and thunks when I take off. Can you feel a bad wheel bearing when the car is up and grab the tire and try to wiggle it or can it still feel good and be bad? How would I check what bushing is shot in the front? will I be able to move the tire forward and back a little? Is there a bushing that normally wears out that I should look for?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

question 1, its got to be pretty bad....2, visual, probably not... i would think right frt.