General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Default sparkplugs

Is there anything I should worry about changing the plugs in my 01 STS? Also should I use the same plug as noted in the manual. Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: sparkplugs

ORIGINAL: infan

Is there anything I should worry about changing the plugs in my 01 STS? Also should I use the same plug as noted in the manual. Thanks
Lots of serious things to worry .. but 1st tell us why are the plugs beign changed?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Default RE: sparkplugs

The reason I wanted to change the plugs is I have 90,000 miles on the car.I plan on keeping the car for a few more years and I thought I might gain some benefits from the new plugs. thanks for the reply.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default sparkplug replacement

Unless something is happening, you will most likely not see any improvement by changing the OEM plugs at this point. I believe you got 100,000 mile dual platinum plugs that can and often go double that mileage.

The old days of a tune-up at whatever mileage, gone .. the less one messes with the stuff under the hood, the better your car is. however, IF you must change them, these are the negatives:

- primary wires are damaged upon improper removal, the shell material is though against heat but very delicate to physical touch.
- plug cavity area is not cleaned prior to removing plugs, allowing crap to enter the cyl.
- replacing with cheap plugs - I do not and will not use anything but the Delco stuff, experience.
- improper gaps.
- cheap spark plug loses an electrode, which in turn jams into the piston rings, which in turn destroys engine.
- spark plug threads are not properly coated.
- primary wires are not properly lubricated before installing.
- primary wires are unmounted from the conduits and thereby allowing heat and chaffing damage.
- damaging coil banks.
- disturbing connectors, wiring, vacuum lines, etc.
*** and my favorite ***
- the job is all done, start her up and lets see if the engine can now rev to 8,000 rpm? ouch !

note:
primary wires = spark plug wires

Long life recommendations?

probably, the best things one can do to extend the life of the mechanics in a car is to:
- perform ALL scheduled maintenance, look in your Owner's Manual,
- clean the engine/transmission every year (specially the underside),
- change out coolant (protect your $3,000 headgasket) every other year, even if GM says not needed,
- flush/change brake fluid (hygroscopic , absorbs moisture) every other year (regardless of mileage or GM's req),
- add a 24oz bottle of Lucas fluid then do a transmission service (new filter / fluid, no flush), and then add a 24oz bottle of Lucas fluid upon refilling.

Hygroscopic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopic

Long life for the Electrics:
- buy a 12oz can of dielectric grease.
- apply to every connector and switch that you ever disconnect.
- make sure every harness and wire remains secured and protected.

Long life for the body:
Damaging rust cannot occur unless salt or moisture ac***ulates and that often requires dirt, debri, leaves or sitting water.
- stick a water nozzle into every access cavity and rinse dirt, dust, etc.
- dont let leaves ac***ulate.
- salt? rinse and then rinse some more.
- a good drive on a dry day helps get the sitting water inside panels off.

*** water stains do not hurt the car, rinse even if you cant dry and buff the car.

Lots of information on these are in the FAQ section.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Default RE: sparkplug replacement

Thanks stomper for all the info on the plugs, guess I will wait on the plugs as the engine is running fine. thanks again