General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine belt broke on my way to work

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Default serpentine belt broke on my way to work

i was on my way to work and the sepertine belt broke[:@]the belt isnt expensive(under 20 bucks) and we need a special pulley to fix it. i was wondering, can we do it to avoid the cost of the mechanic? the one pulley is touching the other and that was the reason i guess it broke, how would we lower it, or would it be safer to see the mechanic?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: serpentine belt broke on my way to work

ORIGINAL: cupi26

i was on my way to work and the sepertine belt broke[:@]the belt isnt expensive(under 20 bucks) and we need a special pulley to fix it. i was wondering, can we do it to avoid the cost of the mechanic? the one pulley is touching the other and that was the reason i guess it broke, how would we lower it, or would it be safer to see the mechanic?
can you add the car and model to your signature? No way I can tell what we are talking about.
thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think you are referring to the tensioner which looks like a small pulley. Most likely it failed and caused the problem. It is not a very expensive part and you should be able to do that repair yourself. Even at a shop and including the belt you are looking at less than $200. One hour labour plus belt plus tensioner.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 PM

easily sumthn u can do urself granted ur caddys still got the belt routing sticker attached, if not find out b4 u bother doin ne work with it. tensioner cost you atleast $100+ dependn wher u get it. If you do end up fixin it urself, i suggest you give the new belt a spray of belt treatment. Had the same sorta prob cept my water pump pulley came off and shredded the belt. I put a new belt on but I had a really loud whining noise coming from the pulleys. Sum locktight, new washers and belt spray had my 85 deville running smooth and quiet.