General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR ABS sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Default RR ABS sensor code

My wife's '99 STS is throwing an ABS 1243 Current code (along with an unrelated IBM 1344) and is shutting off ABS, Stability, and first gear.

I pulled the wheel, and the wiring looks secure and unmolested. It started out by just throwing codes occasionally over railroad tracks and other big bumps, but now is no longer intermittent. I can clear the codes and it throws it upon startup without moving the vehicle.

I have read that a new hub is required if the wiring is fine, since the sensor is built into it and not replaceable.

Is this fairly common, or should I check wiring more closely?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by khanawalt
My wife's '99 STS is throwing an ABS 1243 Current code (along with an unrelated IBM 1344) and is shutting off ABS, Stability, and first gear.

I pulled the wheel, and the wiring looks secure and unmolested. It started out by just throwing codes occasionally over railroad tracks and other big bumps, but now is no longer intermittent. I can clear the codes and it throws it upon startup without moving the vehicle.

I have read that a new hub is required if the wiring is fine, since the sensor is built into it and not replaceable.

Is this fairly common, or should I check wiring more closely?

Thanks!

you may well be right but understand that 99% of all electrical problems are either the connector or the wires .. and 99% of THAT are the connectors.

clean and reconnect all connectors involved in the problem circuit before doing anything.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Default Update:

Well, the 1243 is not a RR sensor, I did not end up buying a bearing. It is a stalled pump, but I can reset the trouble codes and all lights go off when vehicle is sitting still, even in gear, brake on. But the moment it moves, the code resets, lights come on, etc.

Would that be caused by a wheel speed sensor, and how could that be given that it won't throw a code for it?